Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress - A botched update

Options
  • 22-08-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

I botched an update and I realise now that I haven't made a backup of it in ages.

What I'm wondering though, is whether or not my posts/comments will be affecting if I do a clean reinstall of Wordpress and then match it with the old database that I used.

I'm presuming that all that info is stored there and not in the various php files around. Yes? No?

See, I didn't set up the database in the first place and I have a limited knowledge of how exactly wordpress works but I'd appreciate your time in helping me find a solution.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

How badly broken is the upgrade?

If you can still export the existing blog then you might be able to import it into a clean install, but simply pulling the old database into a new install doesn't sound like it would work, as they may have changed the schema

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Well in my browser, all I see is a completely blank screen and there is no source available to view either.

I can't access the admin or anything.

Fook!

Damnit!

Profanities!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

im...LOST wrote: »
    Well in my browser, all I see is a completely blank screen and there is no source available to view either.

I can't access the admin or anything.

Fook!

Damnit!

Profanities!
    before u do anything else, back up whatever DB you have access to. either via phpMyAdmin or some custom script the hosting company has.

I messed up a few WPMU installs before, it's very easy to do due to the fact WP is a complete joke. You've either got a fatal error in your script somewhere (putting ini_set("display_errors",1) at the top of the page you are accessing might shed some light) or else you have removed the admin account or admin folders, which is a pain to fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

My guess is that it is an issue with a php script. I would say there is a 99% chance that your db data is fine. In which case back it up.

You could do a clean install and hook it into your database. If you edit the wp_config for the new install and put in the details for the old db, you should be fine.

If I was a betting man I would say you have a plugin that is not compatible with the new version of Wordpress you installed. Did you disable all plugins before you upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

See, I'm a dumb ass and don't have a clue how I'd go about making a backup of my DB. I have the DB login details so I'll try a fresh install later and see if it works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement