Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invalidity pension & medical card.

Options
  • 22-08-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine was given an invalidity pension by Social Welfare as he has a long term illness that has totally screwed him medically.

He was told by SW that because he was on the invalidity pension he became entitled to a medical card from the HSE- he is only 40.

The HSE say that he has to give them all the blurb about income that you give if you are applying for a means tested card. He thinks that the medical card is an automatic entitlement because of his invalidity pension from SW and that therefore he does not have to give this information as it is of no relevance.

Does any one know if the medical card is an automatic entitlement for people on invalidity pension ? If so, why would HSE want information about his finances if his entitlement is automatic ?

I would appreciate any information as I am trying to help out a mate who is just getting messed around by different people telling him contradictory things:mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Athina

Your friend was ill advised by the SW person who stated he was automatically entitled to a mdical card. Unfortunately, you are not automatically entitled to a medical card, your friend will have to undergo a means test in order to qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

I think the sw always need to do a means test for medical cards, and if you fail that then you have the back up of an application on medical grounds, which you include if applicable with your original application.

The sw officer probably meant that as your friend has been approved for the invalidity pension that he would get the card on medical grounds, but still has to go through the process of a means test.

Advertisement