Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Cow Luas track switchover this weekend

Options
  • 22-08-2008 7:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Attention Motorists temporary lane closures this weekend

to facilitate LUAS switchover

South Dublin County Council is advising motorists using the N7/M50 (Red Cow) Junction this weekend that the Naas Rd / Dublin City link will have lane closures on both inbound and outbound carriageways from 10pm, Friday 22nd August until 6am, Monday 25th August 2008 (inbound N7 to M50 northbound / M50 southbound movements are not affected).

These temporary restrictions will be in place to facilitate the tie-in of the new free flow LUAS tramway alignment that crosses the N7/M50 slip roads at the Red Cow. When the works are completed, the LUAS will travel on a segregated corridor, alleviating the need for the crossing of road traffic and trams as well as associated traffic signals currently in place.

The Luas Red Cow Stop and Park & Ride will be closed from 9pm, Friday 22nd August to 6am, Monday 25th August 2008. Luas users can use the Park and Ride at Tallaght Cross and a special bus service linking to the Luas Blackhorse stop.

We urge motorists using the N7 to give themselves extra time to get to their destination this weekend, especially those travelling to Croke Park as there may be some delays on Saturday and Sunday, says a spokesperson for South Dublin County Council. We are working around the clock next weekend with the aim of completing this LUAS track switchover in good time to re-open all traffic lanes by 6am on Monday morning,

Is the Luas going to be running on the new layout on Monday then:confused:

n7_final-large.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Yes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will this allow them to tighten up the scheduled interval timings a bit? I've been delayed for 3 minutes at the old layout before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

[righteous indignation]
    about bloody time. i hope the genius who had the bright idea of a tram crossing motorway sliproads is now signing on.
    [/righteous indignation]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

D.L.R. wrote: »
    [righteous indignation]
    about bloody time. i hope the genius who had the bright idea of a tram crossing motorway sliproads is now signing on.
    [/righteous indignation]

I think you'll find that the genius and co. are still gamefully employed....still no Line Bx.........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭markpb

I saw five Luas trams sitting on Abbey st (between Beresford Place and Marlborough St) at 7am on Saturday. Does anyone know if they're they left there overnight or were they brought out for later on? It seems a bit reckless to leave something so valuable lying round the city centre on a weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

They were probably the trams operating the Abbey - Blackhorse stretch while the M50 junction was being realigned?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They did the changeover on the Red Cow at the weekend, so they had to put them somewhere.

http://www.luas.ie/news.php
    25 August 2008 Red Cow Park and Ride reopened and full service restored After a successful realignment of the Red Cow LUAS stops.Services have been fully restored between Blackhorse and Tallaght. Red Cow P&R reopened.

http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=Aug_2008_-_Luas_Red_Line_closed_from_Tallaght_to_Blackhorse_Friday_22nd_after_9pm_and_all_day_Saturday_23rd_and_Sunday_24th
    Monday August 25th 5.30am

The LUAS Red Line between Tallaght and Blackhorse has reopened fully after a successful realignment of the Red Cow stop. Red Cow P&R is open for parking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Exactly Igy!

Given that the line was severed at the Red Cow Roundabout while the new route was connected up, and trams were only operating between Blackhorse and Abbey Street, the trams would have had to stable in the city centre on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, as there was no access to the depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭markpb

Ah, I'd forgotten about that. Cheers! (and thanks Victor for moving my q)

It still seems a bit unsafe, there wasn't any visible security when I was there. Obviously nothing happened which I'm both surprised and delighted about.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Bit of a brutal pic here, but you get the idea. I guess they are gonna start work on the M50 south -> N7 west slip again...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Wait a second.. Just looked at the above graphic and was wondering how do pedestrians ie me get from the Luas compound into Ballymount without having to cross about a million lanes of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

I was thinking the same, but I then saw signs and marking on the new tracks for pedestians and bikes. Not sure how they will get from the middle of the N7 on to the side of the road though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

markpb wrote: »
    It still seems a bit unsafe, there wasn't any visible security when I was there. Obviously nothing happened which I'm both surprised and delighted about.

There was security guarding them overnight. Well, at least at the Four Courts when I passed by on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

joemc99 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same, but I then saw signs and marking on the new tracks for pedestians and bikes. Not sure how they will get from the middle of the N7 on to the side of the road though.

they seem to be building pillars in the middle of the luas tracks opposite the mad cow hotel and fiat, so they might be putting a footbridge in there over the carriageway.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

When I went up to feed the swans on Sunday at Blackhorse they had an array of generators and mobile trailered facilities for staff - one was a mobile canteen anyway. As mentioned Blackhorse was working as a terminus so they had some guy specifically at the points with a radio managing erm - the points I guess - he looked pretty bored.

On the upside at least the switchover doesn't require the use of stilts to get the Luas over the Red Cow without interacting with traffic ;)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I took a look at it today. The trackwork is essentially finished, they are doing bits and pieces with the platform equipment and they have cabling and fencing work to do still.

Will put up pics later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Peter Fitz

rameire wrote:
    they seem to be building pillars in the middle of the luas tracks opposite the mad cow hotel and fiat, so they might be putting a footbridge in there over the carriageway.

that would make sense alright, was wondering what they could have been for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thankfully it seems almost ready to go:) Any pics Victor?

Advertisement