Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's in a name?

Options
  • 22-08-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get a glimpse at this years car sales figures and the top selling models? Apart from the upset regarding the VRT changes, did anyone else notice that the Auris is way down the list in terms of number's sold?
    In the past, Corolla, Golf and Focus were the three big ones, but now the Toyota offering seems to be suffering. Not that I care, but do you think that changing a household name in a car is a good move? Did it affect Toyota's sales? If VW changed the name of the Golf to the VW Lupat or something, would less people buy it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Biro wrote: »
    did anyone else notice that the Auris is way down the list in terms of number's sold?

Did you try adding the hatchback Auris sales to the saloon Corolla? Toyota is staying in #1 spot, so they must be selling something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭abitdazed

the companies spend an absolute mint on car names. A friend of my cousin (he's a garda) bought one of the new Aurises (Aurie? Auri?) and he has proclaimed that it is the most boring thing he's ever been in. And he's not even slightly into cars. He'd rather count blades of grass than go for a spin. it seems that when they engineer every last thing that someone can take offence to out of something, then you're left with nothing at all. Trying to sell too many cars to too many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

abitdazed wrote: »
    the companies spend an absolute mint on car names. A friend of my cousin (he's a garda) bought one of the new Aurises (Aurie? Auri?) and he has proclaimed that it is the most boring thing he's ever been in. And he's not even slightly into cars. He'd rather count blades of grass than go for a spin. it seems that when they engineer every last thing that someone can take offence to out of something, then you're left with nothing at all. Trying to sell too many cars to too many people.

Why did he buy something that he finds boring? Surely a test drive would have given the buyer a good feeling of the car or did he just buy a new car for the sake of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why did he buy something that he finds boring? Surely a test drive would have given the buyer a good feeling of the car or did he just buy a new car for the sake of it?

Yeah, I sometimes wonder why people who profess to have no interest in cars bend over backways to buy a brand new one if they can even vaguely afford it. I don't think it's always just snobbery for the latest plate though. I think when most people had decent jobs and the banks were throwing out loans it didn't even OCCUR to some people to buy s/h.

That guy could have been as happy in an 8 grand Octavia* as a 20-ish grand Auris.

Re. the OP - it's just that hatchback sales are now more easily distinguishable from saloons with the seperate names. I did hear that diesel saloons were much scarcer than derv Auris' earlier in the year though.

* - and the Octavia has the advantage of having a MUCH, MUCH bigger boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

pburns wrote: »
    * - and the Octavia has the advantage of having a MUCH, MUCH bigger boot.

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The new Toyota names make me cringe. Every time I see Yaris or Auris I can only think of Y'arse or A'arse - no way in hell would I be caught driving one.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

SteveC wrote: »
    The new Toyota names make me cringe. Every time I see Yaris or Auris I can only think of Y'arse or A'arse - no way in hell would I be caught driving one.:pac:
    good reason not to drive one - tho names arent as boring as numbers :) imagine if the auris was called a toyota 300 - and there was a coupe version - and a hot version - a toyota m300 :)

Advertisement