Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing Solicitor Issue

Options
  • 22-08-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

I have just purchased a 3 bed affordable house. When I first met with the solicitor I was told that as it was an affordable home there was a set fee of around €500. I was told there may be other small charges but not totalling more than an extra 200 quid.

Received bill for 2K today, saying that as the transaction happened between the builders solicitors rather than with the councils the fee I was told in the beginning was not applicable.

Now as you can tell I am as sick as 10,000 dogs as moving into a new home costs mega bucks and therefore another 1.5k hurts the funds when it wasnt expected.

Do I have any choice but to pay?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends- do you have anything in writing from the solicitor quoting the original EUR500+? If you do- you could be in a strong position. If not- your best course of action might be threaten to lodge an official complaint with the Law Society, and see where that gets you with the solicitor.

Normally you will get an itemised bill from your solicitor with searching fees etc all itemised. You are entitled to this. At the end of the day there is the exact same amount of work involved for the solicitor irrespective of whether the property is purchased via the council or the developer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Try and get a breakdown of the bill. When my sister was moving house they got a solicitors bill for ten times what they had been led to expect. When she queried it the solicitor insisted that it was correct and that she was just in shock,basically your just a silly woman. She wouldn't let it drop and it eventually transpired that the solicitors people had made a mistake. It left me wondering how many times it had happened before and how many people would have been cowed by the solicitors forceful insistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Ta for the replies.

I rang the solicitor who is on holidays again, third time since I have been dealing with them since June!

I dont have a quote for the 500 unfortunately. I understand that the same amount of work would have been done despite whose solicitor it was but I thought the fee was subsidised as it was an affordable home and there is no changing the fact that it is an affordable home I purchased.

Will give the council a call too.

Advertisement