Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Atari 800 XL/XE games

Options
  • 22-08-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

I have seen a best and worst list for 8bit but nothing specially for the 800 XL so I thought I would post this.

I loved this system even though the tape recorders were crap. I must have wasted days cleaning the heads on these things. Myself and a friend used to type the code from Page 6 and other magizines but could never get the games to work but still great fun :-)

My 10 favourite games on the 800 XL:

Fort Apocalypse
    Bounty Bob Strikes Back
    Rescue on Fractalus
    Blue Max
    Dig Dug
    Great American Cross-Country Road Race
    Bruce Lee
    Decathlon
    Dropzone
    Caverns of Mars

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I started off on an 800xl (after playing around with one in mosney at their atari centre years ago I was able to ask my folks for one at xmas).
    your list is pretty much similar to mine but

montezuma's revenge
    bruce lee
    Boulderdash
    Zybex
    Rescue on Fractalus
    Rally speedway
    Powerdown
    Pole Position
    Gauntlet
    Spy Hunter

I eventually moved on to a C64 , as I just couldnt get 'modern' games for the
    atari , but a year or two ago I bought a fully boxed xl.Theres a great addon you can get called an SIO2PC cable that lets you play disk images stored on a pc on the Atari, great stuff.
    Oh yeah speaking of page 6 , have you seen www.page6.org ? theres a lot of scanned issues there...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ah, fond memories.

Don't forget Ballblazer and Star Raiders (I and II).
    Oh yeah speaking of page 6 , have you seen www.page6.org ? theres a lot of scanned issues there...

I'm on that website, since I had two articles in the original magazine. :)

Still have them upstairs somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Luas,
    Thanks for sharing that. They have even made the basic programs available!
    I have heard of the SIO2PC cable and they should be pretty easy to make up.

Tom,
    What issues are your articles in and what are the article names?

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    Tom,
    What issues are your articles in and what are the article names?

Actually, it is more correct to say they were two type in games, not technically articles.

The first one was called Amazing! (a maze game, as you might suspect :)) and the second Castle Eayor (Enter At Your Own Risk, corny, I know :D).

Amazing! was issue 37, I don't recall what issue the other one was in.

I was 15 years of age when I sent in the first one. To say I was chuffed was an understatement. :)

Edit: For the hell of it, I just googled Castle Eayor. And look what I stumbled across - an actual screen shot of the other game, Amazing! I can't believe it. I'm getting all nostalgic here.

Fair play. It appears that you can download the game. I hope you are getting royalties?

BTW. did you work for Intel 10-15 years ago??

• Advertisement

Fair play. It appears that you can download the game. I hope you are getting royalties?

Royalties? Not at all. :D I got a cheque for £50 sterling and £75 respectively, no more. Then again, it was loads back then.
    BTW. did you work for Intel 10-15 years ago??

Yes, I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Just stumbled on the discussion Re. Atari games.

I have an Atari 800 computer with Tape deck, Disc Drive ,Paddles, Word Processer and all manuels etc, also some Page 6 Mags (packed away) Does anyone know if it is of value . It was my first computer and I loved it. I could even write simple programs in Basic. If ,Then ,Else ,peeks and pokes. Simple stuff.

I would search Ebay as rare software and hardware could be worth a few quid. Like you I had a ton of stuff including different types of tape decks, unopened games and books. I had them for years hoping they would *mature*. I got rid of them six months ago because they were taking up too much space. They were not as rare as I had hoped :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Solidius

my top ten had to be..
    1.Bruce Lee
    2.The Goonies
    3.Conan
    4.Miner 2049'er
    5.Rescue on Fractalus
    6.Blue Max
    7.Pole Position
    8.Great American Cross-Country Road Race
    9.International Karate
    10.River raid

and am still playing this stuff on my PC,GPX2,Xbox..and anywhere I can hook them up and play..Emulation..pure brilliant invention :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 prixon

Tom Dunne wrote: »

I'm on that website, since I had two articles in the original magazine. :)

<nudge> I seem to remember you were going to send us a photo to add to your profile on page6.org ....

Paul R :)

• Advertisement

prixon wrote: »
    <nudge> I seem to remember you were going to send us a photo to add to your profile on page6.org ....

Paul R :)

Damn, how did you find me over here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 prixon

web stats are great for finding out who's talking about you!

Advertisement