Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go to College or Not?

Options
  • 22-08-2008 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

ok at the moment I have a part-time job well casual. I have a kid and a partner.
    The problem is that me thinking that I will get a grant and told buy people that I will get a grant and a little reserch say that I will get a grant. I am a foreigner living here for a long time 7+ years.

I have a leave to remain in the country, I went to the grant office couple of days ago with all my forms inbut I was told I need an humanitarien leave to remain. I was shocked this means that I will have to pay reg fee money that I don't have. I have to pay rent and child care, my miss don't get much pay form her job. I am in a pickle. I did plc last year and I was so so looking forward to college this year 1st year. My miss took a year off last year but back to 3rd year this year.

I was told buy my sis I have Humani. Leave to remain but no way to prove it :(. We called the D.O. Justice. They said we still don't qualify for a grant because we didn't get the leave to remain before 2000.

The main question is I have to pay 25% of 800 on reg day and rest before december. I know I wont have much money with all the things I have to do. I am only 20 and I know if I dont go college this year again I will be out of formal education for 2 years and I doubt I will go back.

I am so depress. Should I just quit and look for a job and hope for the best next year. All my mates are all in 2nd year already I feel left behind.

Advice please.

Comments

RealistSpy wrote: »
    ok at the moment I have a part-time job well casual. I have a kid and a partner.
    The problem is that me thinking that I will get a grant and told buy people that I will get a grant and a little reserch say that I will get a grant. I am a foreigner living here for a long time 7+ years.

I have a leave to remain in the country, I went to the grant office couple of days ago with all my forms inbut I was told I need an humanitarien leave to remain. I was shocked this means that I will have to pay reg fee money that I don't have. I have to pay rent and child care, my miss don't get much pay form her job. I am in a pickle. I did plc last year and I was so so looking forward to college this year 1st year. My miss took a year off last year but back to 3rd year this year.

I was told buy my sis I have Humani. Leave to remain but no way to prove it :(. We called the D.O. Justice. They said we still don't qualify for a grant because we didn't get the leave to remain before 2000.

The main question is I have to pay 25% of 800 on reg day and rest before december. I know I wont have much money with all the things I have to do. I am only 20 and I know if I dont go college this year again I will be out of formal education for 2 years and I doubt I will go back.

I am so depress. Should I just quit and look for a job and hope for the best next year. All my mates are all in 2nd year already I feel left behind.

Advice please.

Hi RealistSpy,

Sorry to hear about your situation. The rules for eligibility include the following:

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/support_higher08.doc?language=EN
    4.5 Nationality
    4.5.1Candidates must:
    - hold E.U. Nationality; or

- have Official Refugee Status; or

- have been granted Humanitarian Leave to Remain in the State (prior to the Immigration Act 1999); or

- be a person in respect of whom the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform has granted permission to remain following a determination not to make a deportation order under section 3 of the Immigration Act 1999; or

- have permission to remain in the State by virtue of marriage to an Irish national residing in the State, or be the child of such person, not having EU nationality; or

- have permission to remain in the State by virtue of marriage to a national of another EU Member State who is residing in the State and who is or has been employed, or self-employed, in the State, or be the child of such a person, not having EU nationality; or

- be nationals of a member country of the European Economic Area (EEA) (see Appendix V) or Switzerland.

I assume you wouldn't be eligible under any of the other headings, or would be willing to obtain citizenship through naturalisation? Rather extreme measures I know, but possibilities nonetheless.

Advertisement