Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dreading the junior cert.........i need help........!

Options
  • 22-08-2008 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hey ppl.....!!:D
    im goin in2 3rd year diz year:confused:.....and im seriously dreading it.....!!:mad: i failed honours maths twice so far and i dunno what to do.....?!?!?! plz plz plz giv me all the advice you have because i really do need it........!! thanks..........!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

OK... its really nothing to worry about i just finished it this year and found it grand, you have to study a bit but not loadza time to it :D To be honest everything just falls into place when you finally go to do the exams!

Honours maths my only advice is to just practice it every now and then keep up with homework and what not! If its the problem of a crap teacher you might have to get grinds cos you need a good teacher for maths its not something you can teach yourself!! i had a great Maths teacher and on average 15 outta 20 get As but the other maths teacher.... They didnt even finish the course never mind understand it. But if the teacher isnt the problem just ask them for help and dont let anything u dont understand go - our teachers golden rule:rolleyes:

Really the JC isnt a big deal and its not worth getting yourself stressed out for it!

Well theres my 2cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 coco-pop

well it is a case of a bad teacher.....so will prob have to get grinds......???!!! :( em how much study do i need to do...........??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Stop using textspeak? If you're doing so in your exam papers, give it up and your intelligence will appear to soar - that's a promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Ah relax, Honestly, I thought the JC was just another Summer exam. The Junior Cert is nothing to be worrying about honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

I debated worrying about the JC,
    But seriously, there more of a guidelines to the LC than anything else.
    Still quite important and you should put in lots of study in all subjects and if you feel your struggling in a subject, get help!
    I done the JC this year and to be honest it just flew!
    The majority of the tests were easy so I was delighted ^^
    If you study for the tests alot,
    Not just when you feel like it,
    The rewards will come back thricefold =]

Good Luck and really, dont worry about it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

As much study until you actually feel like you have learnt something, or feel like you are going to do a bit better than last time

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oponodon

If you gotta learn something, learn it. dont leave stuff for the night before. HL maths is hard, and if you really dont think you can do it, do ordinary level. (I guarantee that come the mocks, most of ur class will be doing ordinary level)

The important thing about maths is you gotta try understand what ur doing. also, dont overtax youself. set realistic goals (say to yourself: "tonight i will learn the slope of a line equation, and two irish sentences off by heart." Then do. write them out untill you have a splitting headache and cant write them out anymore. then, write them out some more. (I know its not what u wanna hear, but its much better learning those three things off than just reading a textbook for an hour.)

Also, its really, really important that you take breaks. Though try to keep yourself diciplined, dont just go off and do something else. (im a hypocrite here, but if you at least try to feel kinda bad about it when you do just give up, you tend to do it a little less. :D)

Overall, you have nothing to worry about if you play to your strengths, and then when you're finished with that try and improve your weaknesses. Also, i would reccomend evening study, if ur school does it. it really helps. If you think the price is a little steep, sign up the term before the mocks. It really helps, trust me.

EDIT: BTw, i agree with ambrosia, do a small bit each night, and u'll be grand. I got 11% in higher level maths in the 2nd year summer test (epic phailure right there
    :o) and i worked at it steadily and i got a C in the mocks, and for the real JC im hopin for a B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Diarmey

tlkin lik dis wunt elp u m8!!

Screw honors maths if your finding it difficult now you chances are very low at doing it in the leaving a A in ordinary is still classed as 'good'

I did my junior 2 years ago and literally just didn't give a **** and didn't study allthough I got 5 b's I regret not putting more effort in as I didn't do my leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

If you don't think you can do honours maths then it'd be best to go into ordinary. I had a bad maths teacher aswell, yet managed to get a D in ordinary maths in the Junior. This was because I came to the realisation that if I want anything done I have to do it myself. Everyone's had a bad teacher at some stage, but if you get a fail in maths from lack of study or no attempt at teaching yourself or getting grinds your future employer (of course this only counts if you apply for a job between the JC and the LC) won't care if you have a bad teacher or not. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 eoghanmcdonnell

If you think you can pass the honours maths paper, even with a D, then go for it. The ordinary level leaving cert will be easier for you then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Get grinds, Teach yourself a bit, switch to a different class but remember:

Its ONLY the Junior Cert. Im in 5th year now and bar the day we got the results, the JC has never been mentioned. Its a dress rehearsal for the LC tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Conor108 wrote: »
    Get grinds, Teach yourself a bit, switch to a different class but remember:

Its ONLY the Junior Cert. Im in 5th year now and bar the day we got the results, the JC has never been mentioned. Its a dress rehearsal for the LC tbh

I agree. The JC is only relevant in real life if you apply for a part-time job between completion of the JC and beginning of the LC. Or, if you don't intend on doing your Leaving Cert. Once you get your JC results, you'll realise it's of minimal importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

Im doing my junior this year and suffer from a few bad teachers so im going to grinds in french and maths
    im worried aswell
    but the junior cert results arnt the be all and end all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I dont want to cause a panic or anything, but the junior cert is not as worthless as people always say it is. At the end of the day, when you go into 5th year, you are going to be split up into classes based upon your junior cert results. Now granted a really out of character result in the JC, will be taken into account by your teachers, but if you get a D in whatever subject in your JC, you arent going to be put into the top honours class even if you are capable of an A.

Im not saying that everyone needs to kill themselves studying for the Junio ert, but i wouldnt trea it as a cram the night before job either. Keep on top of things all year and start to pick up the pace afer the mocks is my advice

Advertisement