Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying from a digibox to an external HD?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

Hi-not sure if this should be in another forum, but anyway.

Is it possible to copy from a digibox HD to an external multimedia HD via a scart (or any other way)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

ALL content on a sky plus is encrypted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Hi-not sure if this should be in another forum, but anyway.

Is it possible to copy from a digibox HD to an external multimedia HD via a scart (or any other way)?

No problem to copy via SCART as you suggest. I do it all the time to a Sony DVR. Use the TV out socket and set it to RGB for best quality.

The only problem you might encounter is if you have a pay movie (SKY Box Office) on the SKY+ box. These are usually protected with Macrovision, so the DVR / Video won't record.

On the other hand, if you are talking about a digital copy, then no dice - content is encrypted on disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Cheers. Only interested in copying what is not encrypted.

Where do you go on the Sky menu to kick off a copy, or do you have to initiate it from the external HD?

Or can you only copy from digibox to DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I think you need to "play" file on your Sky box and "record" on your DVD recorder. No such a thing as direct copy on Sky box...

You can also "copy" to your PC.
    There is no way to "lift" SKY+ programs off the unit straight onto PC.
    You need a PC, a capture card, a couple of long leads, fast PC and some video editing and DVD authoring software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I think you need to "play" file on your Sky box and "record" on your DVD recorder. No such a thing as direct copy on Sky box...
    :confused:You must have a different SKY+ box to mine!
    In the planner you navigate to the programme you have stored and press the red button on the remote (it's marked COPY on the screen ;)). The prompt tells you to press "record" on your VCR/DVR and then you press "enter" on the remote. The SKY+ box puts up the info screen and then, after a short delay, starts playing the programme.
    You can't watch anything else on the SKY+ box while the copy is happening, but you can queue up several and run them overnight if that suits you.

Thanks for the correction , its been over a year since i've done any copy so my memory is a bit fuzzy... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

You can also "copy" to your PC.
    There is no way to "lift" SKY+ programs off the unit straight onto PC.
    You need a PC, a capture card, a couple of long leads, fast PC and some video editing and DVD authoring software.

Cheers, think I'll leave it!

Just as handy to buy a DVD-R and copy saved material from the digibox to a DVD-RW and then transfer/rip to a PC/HDD-would still need the software I guess?

(P.S. Mods- if what I am suggesting is illegal then by all means delete/lock the thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Cheers. Only interested in copying what is not encrypted.

Get a screwdriver and a copy of +extract.

Advertisement