Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of unwanted wood

Options
  • 21-08-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi all,
    I have wood that needs to be removed from my garden. There are 3 large logs, 9 old scaffold boards, and quite a bit of tg&v that is of no use to me.
    I reckon it could fit in a large van or maybe a trailer. Does anyone know if there are people who offer a removal service of this kind? Can it be recycled somewhere?
    Thanks in advance :)
    Jac

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

where are you based.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

yea where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

North Offaly on the Offaly-Kildare border

Hi Guys,
    Just to give you an update on wood removal. I have found a place, Derryclure Landfill, on the Portlaoise Road in Tullamore. They accept a van with recyclable wood for only €5! Thanks for the suggestions.
    Jac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

have you tried a cold shower?

• Advertisement

'Scuze me???

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

your talents are wasted .....although beavis and butthead done it better

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Here's a practical and cheap solution to your predicament. Pile the wood up in your back garden, yard or driveway. Make sure to clear away an area around the wood and please remove any unwanted tins of white spirit or lighter fluid. Be extra careful not to spill any of this fluid on to the offending wood although if some should somehow manage to spill in the general vicinity there's no harm done eh? Take a break from all your hard work by going for a well deserved cigarette. Remember to be extremely careful that any matches / cigarette butts don't come in contact with said wood. Don't panic should an incendiary fall on the wood. Instead, secure the area and let the fire run it's course - there's no need to be a hero. After the fire has died out sweep up any offending ash and place into a bin or preferably throw over the wall and on to your neighbours rose bushes. Should said neighbours become irrate, calmly explain how the benefits of the nutrient-rich ash more than compensates for the fact that their prized flower bed now resembles a bad day at Auschwitz. :eek:

You're welcome :cool:

oookay.....
    Has everyone gone mad or what?!!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

misschipp wrote: »
    oookay.....
    Has everyone gone mad or what?!!!???

Nah, just extremely bored at work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

wood burning stove for me just had a patio and loads of pallets to be chainsawed up (replendant in new lidl safety gear) for my winter firewood shame none of its stuff from the far east as you often get nice hardwoods in pallets - yes bored at work

LOL! Jeez people, leave your boring jobs and do something you enjoy! Life is too short. At least your sense of humour is still intact. Thanks for the laughs...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Absolutly Brilliant ~~~ LOLLing Lots

HI,
    did you ever fine out what type of timber it is

can you put up some pics ?

K

Hi Karltimber,
    Not sure what they are. I have uploaded a pic, so hopefully you can see it. I have done some carving on them and they are rock hard. I have turned a few small limbs and they turn like cheese (a real dream). I am not that well up on identifying species I'm afraid.
    Jac

Hi,
    they look like roots off very large and very very old Yew trees.

that timber is rock hard and a dream to turn.

Are they all roots or is there trunk left there ?

where did they come from ?

K

Hi K,
    They came from a garden in Dublin, reckon they were growing for quite a number of years as they were very tall. I have put by some trunk to make garden furniture. There is a lot to get through on the roots before I get to the "good stuff", mud, stones etc.. That's why I lost patience with them!

Hi,
    Yew trees by nature live a long time, by joining their different limbs to become 1 trunk. As part of this process, stones etc get caught inside the timber and the bottoms of yew trees are full of debris.

Only an old chain would be used on these and an old chain may not be sharp enough to go through yew.

a dilema alright.

Karl.

Yes a dilema, you said it! I figure the only option at this stage is to put them in the recycle facility (when Hubby lets me have the van). I got a lot from the rest of the trunk, plus the limbs so I am happy enough. Thanks K for the information, I guess experience will enable me to identify species in the future

Advertisement