Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail 0530 commuter to Enniscorthy

Options
  • 21-08-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

is there an Iarnrod Eireann scout on this forum? For a country who have experienced unrivalled wealth and economic growth how do they explain the shambles that is this train service?

Consistently late departing, consistently late arriving and it is packed to the rafters after 2 stops. And that's before the school's, college's and holiday makers return..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The hope is for more services - I think its meant to be an integrated timetable to Dundalk from 2009.

However, Enniscorthy is a huge commute.

I hear that some IÉ people do read this board, but a direct complaint might help also. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Victor wrote: »
    The hope is for more services - I think its meant to be an integrated timetable to Dundalk from 2009.

However, Enniscorthy is a huge commute.

hardly anyone on this train is going as far as Enniscorthy - over half the passengers get off in Bray and Greystones.

I get this train regularly and its not terrible by Irish Rail standards. Occassionally it arrives late from Maynooth (where it starts) - but i'd say 4 days out of 5 it is within 5 minutes of its schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

hardly anyone on this train is going as far as Enniscorthy - over half the passengers get off in Bray and Greystones.

I get this train regularly and its not terrible by Irish Rail standards. Occassionally it arrives late from Maynooth (where it starts) - but i'd say 4 days out of 5 it is within 5 minutes of its schedule.

It used to start in Connolly but this may have changed...but that's not the point. By Irish Rail standards is a poor comparison. 4 days out of 5 it's within 5 minutes of schedule? I'd challenge that and that is only an 80% accuracy if true...that to me is embarassing and just not good enough.
    By the time the train gets to Pearse St it's slammed, having to push through passengers to claim standing room.
    Once travelling past Bray it's not cheap in any sense of the imagination, I would expect better (even by Irish Rail standards).

I've heard about additional services, longer trains before and nothing has materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

loyatemu wrote: »

The train operates to Enniscorthy in order to connect into a second train that continues to Wexford and Rosslare. Previously the train terminated at Gorey.

Hi wrote: »

It used to start in Connolly but this may have changed...but that's not the point. By Irish Rail standards is a poor comparison. 4 days out of 5 it's within 5 minutes of schedule? I'd challenge that and that is only an 80% accuracy if true...that to me is embarassing and just not good enough.
    By the time the train gets to Pearse St it's slammed, having to push through passengers to claim standing room.
    Once travelling past Bray it's not cheap in any sense of the imagination, I would expect better (even by Irish Rail standards).

I've heard about additional services, longer trains before and nothing has materialised.

There certainly won't be longer trains as the platforms south of Greystones can only take a six-coach train.

The long term plan is for a mix of Intercity and Commuter services, which will mean a mix of Intercity railcars operating between Connolly and Rosslare and Commuter stock (as now) operating between Drogheda or Maynooth and Gorey or Enniscorthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It used to start in Connolly but this may have changed...but that's not the point. By Irish Rail standards is a poor comparison.

I fully accept that Irish Rail standards are not high, but compared to getting the Dart to Greystones this train is generally more punctual (still nowhere near 100%) and marginally quicker (still very slow though - 52 mins for an 18 mile journey with only 6 stops).

Ok its not fantastic, particularly when they reduce it down to 4 carriages (usually on Fridays) but getting angry with Irish Rail is pointless - they don't care, you'll just upset yourself. You could go and join RailUsersIreland, but they don't really care about the Rosslare line either...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

KC61 wrote: »
    There certainly won't be longer trains as the platforms south of Greystones can only take a six-coach train.

I have heard this before but it's not true either, for the past few days there have been longer trains going to Enniscorthy, which rubbishes the excuse of the platforms taking just 6 carriages.

And the trains that have been in operation for the last week or so are full, standing room only but not on top of each other;

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭thomasj

True but for the last while they have been four carriages running out that way. So they are bound to be longer. The only trains i saw going out that way were six car.

I have heard this before but it's not true either, for the past few days there have been longer trains going to Enniscorthy, which rubbishes the excuse of the platforms taking just 6 carriages.

And the trains that have been in operation for the last week or so are full, standing room only but not on top of each other;

The only trains operating to Gorey, Enniscorthy or Rosslare are either:
    1) 1 x 4 Car 29000 Class unit; or
    2) 3 x 2 Car 2800 Class units (i.e. a six car train)

I will reiterate that nothing else can operate south of Greystones as platform lengths are too short.

As the previous poster says, there have been 4-car 29000 sets on the service of late, but it has now reverted to 6-car 2800 set operation.

Advertisement