Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Beer at decent prices?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Sorry in advance if this has been done to death, but a return to college is coming up soon and as you would expect I don't have the cash to buy the good stuff. Just wondering what people would recommend as a nice beer that is reasonably priced. I'm not talking Dutch Gold but something decent. I've heard Tuborg is decent and is cheap. Any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Bavaria Crown-Good
    Prasky-Good
    Tuborg-Good

All above are 6 for €7 bar baviaria which seems to be 6 for €7.50 now :( , still there good value, also keep a eye out for heineken deals, sometimes they can have good deals on the cans, got a 12 pack of cans for €15 before heineken :), Fosters likewise

Nick

I tried a turkish beer called Efes pilsner from dunnes during the week Surprisingly good. Only 6.99 for six bottles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Aldi's Spaten for €1.79 or so is one of the best every-day deals around. Their price for Schöfferhofer is good too.

Other than that, watch for the special offers -- Superquinn have had some great ones recently, with Bishop's Finger and others at €1.75.

The expired beer baskets in places like Deveney's, Redmond's and Carvill's in Dublin or the Abbot's Ale House in Cork can also be a great source of quality beer at knock-down prices. When Deveney's were doing 75cl bottles of Jacobsen Saaz Blonde (7.1% ABV) at 6 for €10 it must have been close to the cheapest drinking alcohol in the country.

There might still be some left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I tried a turkish beer called Efes pilsner from dunnes during the week Surprisingly good. Only 6.99 for six bottles.

I was a bit fan of the Efes while over in Turkey, haven't had it here yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

I think tesco has 4 bottles of Brahma for for €4 at the moment, very underrated beer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

second the spaten that aldi have on offer now, about 1 euro cheaper per bottle than anywhere else, also lidl have Staropramen for 2 euro per bottle, great beer.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Their price for Schöfferhofer is good too.

They sell Schöfferhofer? Excellent. I used to get that in dunnes all the time but they don't sell it anymore. One of the nicest beers I've ever tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

24 cans of Bavaria for €24 in tesco right now. Can't go wrong with that tbh. (Well you could go badly wrong if you drank it all in one go)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

EOB32 wrote: »
    Sorry in advance if this has been done to death, but a return to college is coming up soon and as you would expect I don't have the cash to buy the good stuff. Just wondering what people would recommend as a nice beer that is reasonably priced. I'm not talking Dutch Gold but something decent. I've heard Tuborg is decent and is cheap. Any thoughts?
    What's wrong with Dutch? I prefer that to Tuborg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I've seen €1 bottles of Warsteiner in a few places around. Tuborg's not bad for the price, but I wouldn't want to drink it regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

heggie wrote: »
    second the spaten that aldi have on offer now, about 1 euro cheaper per bottle than anywhere else, also lidl have Staropramen for 2 euro per bottle, great beer.

third the spaten. It always brings me back to my summer job in Munich in '88 and '89. mmmmmmmmm. One of the best beers available in the supermarkets and great price in Aldi, though unfotunately is probably just over the student price bracket!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Usually any of the small french or german beers from Lidl are very good and the price cant be beaten. A couple of years ago when I was in college I was paying €11 for a tray of 24 bottles but they were samll bottles not as big as your average bud/heineken bottles, but the stuff was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

BeerNut wrote: »
    Aldi's Spaten for €1.79 or so is one of the best every-day deals around. Their price for Schöfferhofer is good too.

Other than that, watch for the special offers -- Superquinn have had some great ones recently, with Bishop's Finger and others at €1.75.

The expired beer baskets in places like Deveney's, Redmond's and Carvill's in Dublin or the Abbot's Ale House in Cork can also be a great source of quality beer at knock-down prices. When Deveney's were doing 75cl bottles of Jacobsen Saaz Blonde (7.1% ABV) at 6 for €10 it must have been close to the cheapest drinking alcohol in the country.

There might still be some left.
    thats the only thing cheap at Abbot's Ale House. Duvel 750 cost E9.50 in Bradleys this is 6.99. They charge 380 for Chimay blue small bottels when the rrp is 3.59 which bradleys sell for 3.20

don't get me wrong great selection of beer but prices are very very high
    small bottle of Duvel is 3.80 there when its 2.55 in Bradley's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Frankfurt beer in Aldi is lovely. 6 bottles of 500ml at 4.9% for €7.
    :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

rom wrote: »
    thats the only thing cheap at Abbot's Ale House. Duvel 750 cost E9.50 in Bradleys this is 6.99. They charge 380 for Chimay blue small bottels when the rrp is 3.59 which bradleys sell for 3.20

don't get me wrong great selection of beer but prices are very very high
    small bottle of Duvel is 3.80 there when its 2.55 in Bradley's

Bradley's is a shop that makes profit from a plethora of things - doesn't need the margins on the beer as much - abbots does, and in fairness I've found plenty of great deals in there.

Advertisement