Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software licensing question

Options
  • 21-08-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

If I buy Office 2007 in a box, does that entitle me to install it on both my PC and my laptop? Almost certain the answer is "no", but I just want to confirm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I think the Student & Teacher editions usually allow for about 3 installations (or at least the old versions did) but the regular edition is just the one.

edit: I was wrong, see B-K-DzR's post below. Seems Microsoft now allow for installation on 2 devices as long as one is a mobile device.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

It allows you to install it on your desktop and one other mobile device that you use, in this case your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    It allows you to install it on your desktop and one other mobile device that you use, in this case your laptop.

Supoib - saved me a few quid there, thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The home and student version lets you install it on 3 computers. It only has word, powerpoint, excel and onenote though.

Is it true that you cannot buy the previous version of Office (2003) as Microsoft want to push 2007 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dont know about that, but Student Office 2007 is going for $60 right now, and that includes everything in the office suite.

Overheal wrote: »
    Dont know about that, but Student Office 2007 is going for $60 right now, and that includes everything in the office suite.

Reason I ask about 2003 is that Excel 2007 is unintelligible from what I have used before - I've heard Word is also incompatible. So the €60 offer is usless to me if I have to learn, to all intents and purposes, a new application.

What am I missing here? Why are there 2 completely different prices for seemingly the same product?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/203-5918553-1170332?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=office+2003&x=10&y=13

If the first one is kosher, does this price entitle you to install on both a PC and a laptop, assuming same user?

OEM versions technically are only supposed to be sold to "system builders" meaning you should be buying hardware with it and once activated on a PC it becomes locked to that machine and cant be activated on a different one. With the full price version, if you buy a new machine in the future then you should be able to install and activate without any issues.

I dont think 2003 allows for multiple simultaneous installations, I'm pretty sure that was a new thing brought in with Office 2007. The "1 User" would seem to indicate that you cant.

Thanks for the reply, John - so I am currently on Office 2000, I upgrade to Office 2003 on my existing PC but will not be able to use this software to upgrade any future PC's? Any idea if you can run 2003 and 2007 on the same machine?

JohnK wrote: »
    OEM versions technically are only supposed to be sold to "system builders" meaning you should be buying hardware with it and once activated on a PC it becomes locked to that machine and cant be activated on a different one. With the full price version, if you buy a new machine in the future then you should be able to install and activate without any issues.

I dont think 2003 allows for multiple simultaneous installations, I'm pretty sure that was a new thing brought in with Office 2007. The "1 User" would seem to indicate that you cant.

• Advertisement

Well if you buy the OEM and install that on your PC my expectation would be that activation would fail if you then tried to install it on your laptop or on a different PC in the future. On the other hand you could just try it and it might work. And if it doesnt, well £40 isnt really that much to spend on what is at the end of the day a damn good product.

As for running 2003 and 2007 on the one machine, I was using Outlook 2003 from the retail professional edition of office alongside a trial of office 2007 and didnt have any issues. Saying that of course I didnt have two versions of the same product like word or excel so those might have issues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Overheal wrote: »

Where do you get it for that price

Advertisement