Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervision/Yard Duty - how does it work

Options
  • 21-08-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Het guys, just wondering... How exactly does the Supervision/Substitution/Yard Duty scheme work in secondary schools? I never bothered putting my name down before, but think I will this year... How much do we get paid and when do we get it? Also how many breaktimes and free period would I have to give up? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

sitstill wrote: »
    Het guys, just wondering... How exactly does the Supervision/Substitution/Yard Duty scheme work in secondary schools? I never bothered putting my name down before, but think I will this year... How much do we get paid and when do we get it? Also how many breaktimes and free period would I have to give up? Thanks

I'm not 100% certain but I think its paid in February and in June.

Here's the official line..

From circular 0047/2008

2. The rates payable to teachers for supervision in the 2007/2008 school year and the effective dates are as follows:

1st September 2007 - €47.91 per hour.
    1st March 2008 - €49.11 per hour.

The annual rate payable to teachers for the 2007/2008 school year in respect of 37 hours supervision is €1,789.00.

3. The rate payable to personnel employed solely for the purpose of supervision is €21.35 per hour effective from the 1st September 2007. The rate increased to €21.88 per hour effective from the 1st March 2008.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not signed up to it myself, but in our place at the start of each year people who are put themselves down for two time slots each two week period.

Our classes are one hour long so it's easy enough. Once they reach the 37 hours they are no longer available. Most of ours came close to or passed the 37, though some due to a combination of factors didn't. Our lunch period is 40 minutes and we work it that two lunches count as one hour.

Every school is probably different.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ya, i think it depends from school to school. I do 1 breaks (15 mins) and 1 lunch (40 mins) each week for the year and make up the shortfall with supervision classes. It's fairly flexible in my school, a couple of teachers don't want any supervision classes so do an extra lunch, I think the maximum hours a permanent teacher can do is 44 and EPTs are unlimited (i'm open to correction on this), but i'm never over 44 hours because I'm permanent.

Some people in my school do more breaks and lunches and some do less. Talk to whoever organises supervision

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Most schools don't burden teachers too much with the covering classes because lot of teachers are not doing the scheme anymore and principals need the remaining teachers the do yard and don't want to make it such that more leave the scheme!
    Dead easy money, drink tea talking to some nice students once or twice a week while keeping an eye on the smokers down the corner, don't start chasing or following students as its a game to them and they give up eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

For primary teachers you sign up, do your 37 hours however they're spread out by the co-ordinator in your school and you get paid about €900 after tax in a lump sum at the end of July. It's put in with your normal paycheque so you get completely screwed with the tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

My principal said this week that the first installment gets paid in February. Does anyone know if it usually comes in the paycheck before the midterm break?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...I think the maximum hours a permanent teacher can do is 44...

No, it's 49. The minimum you can do is 37 but you can commit to another 12.

Advertisement