Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Others moving in

Options
  • 21-08-2008 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

I would like to rent one room, maybe two in my house. Have started letting people view it. However I'm unsure as a live-in landlady what my rights are. Can I ask them not to smoke? Can I ask they don't have visitors sleep anywhere other than their own rooms? Do provide all the cleaning products? Also, do we split all bills? Any help greatly appreciated cos want to know my rights.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If you're taking people in to live in your house, everybody should pay their share of the bills, regardless of whose name they're in. Regarding cleaning products, etc, you could always start a kitty and have everybody put in E5-10 per month, depending on expenses in the house.

As landlady, you should be able to stipulate ground rules in your house - ie - no smokers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would like to rent one room, maybe two in my house. Have started letting people view it. However I'm unsure as a live-in landlady what my rights are. Can I ask them not to smoke? Can I ask they don't have visitors sleep anywhere other than their own rooms? Do provide all the cleaning products? Also, do we split all bills? Any help greatly appreciated cos want to know my rights.

Your rights are identical to those of anyone else sharing their house, either with family or for profit.

You make the rules: If there's no smoking in the house, then there's no smoking in the house. If you don't want people staying over, that's fine too.

As the landlord, you are required to pay for the upkeep of the house and all appliances, you can't pass these costs onto your lodgers. So if the fridge fails, the cost comes 100% out of your pocket. Obviously if the lodger causes any damage, then they pay.

Splitting bills is the usual way of doing it. You can also have a slightly higher rent with no bills. Some lodgers prefer that.

Don't provide locks for your lodger's doors. It's a soft and uncertain legal area, but your best bet is to avoid it altogether and not provide them with a key for the door.

Because you are living in the house, if someone breaks the rules or otherwise needs to leave, you can ask them to leave without reason and without notice. You are not required to give them a month or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Seamus, thanks for all the help. Where do I find out exactly what my rights are? I'm a teeny bit anxious about it.
    Cheers for all your help everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Here's a link to the Citizens Information Board re the Rent a Room Scheme.

Seamus has some great advice for you so I'm not going to repeat it. The one thing I will say to you though is that when you do meet any potential lodgers, trust your gut instinct. If you've any doubts about anyone, don't take them in.

People being people, some are easier to live with than others and some have more common sense. If need be, don't be afraid to have a quiet word with a tenant if they're doing something that could be causing problems. If something's causing a problem, act on it quickly and tactfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Professionals only: if you don't want someone who will end up staying in your sitting room 24/7 watching the TV, if you get my drift.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Professionals only: if you don't want someone who will end up staying in your sitting room 24/7 watching the TV, if you get my drift.
    Indeed. From personal experience, if you can avoid getting someone on shift too, then do that. Nothing against shift workers at all, but they can tend to keep odd hours. Some weeks they seem to be in the house watching TV every time you are, and other weeks you don't see them for 3 days.

They sometimes also sleep during the day, which may cause friction depending on how noisy you are/aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

seamus wrote: »
    Don't provide locks for your lodger's doors. It's a soft and uncertain legal area, but your best bet is to avoid it altogether and not provide them with a key for the door.

A helpful post Seamus but I realy don’t get that. And I’d never rent a room if I couldn’t lock my door.
    The average professional or student nowadays has a laptop, TV, ipods and other assorted gadgets that could be worth thousands. You expect them to leave them in their room where the landlord or other tenants can walk in and out of their room?
    Most people in this forum have shared a house at some stage and no doubt you’ve come across a few thieves in your time, I know I have. :mad:
    I wouldn’t be worried so much about the OP and she would have a master key but she is looking to rent two rooms. So if I rented one, I’d be expected to leave my door unlocked at the mercy of some random tenant I’d never met before? :confused:

Or the renter has a boyfriend/girlfriend around at weekends and can’t lock their door.
    Seriously, I’ve never heard of this and I can’t see any other people putting up with it.

micmclo wrote: »
    A helpful post Seamus but I realy don’t get that. And I’d never rent a room if I couldn’t lock my door.
    The average professional or student nowadays has a laptop, TV, ipods and other assorted gadgets that could be worth thousands. You expect them to leave them in their room where the landlord or other tenants can walk in and out of their room?
    Most people in this forum have shared a house at some stage and no doubt you’ve come across a few thieves in your time, I know I have. :mad:
    I wouldn’t be worried so much about the OP and she would have a master key but she is looking to rent two rooms. So if I rented one, I’d be expected to leave my door unlocked at the mercy of some random tenant I’d never met before? :confused:

Or the renter has a boyfriend/girlfriend around at weekends and can’t lock their door.
    Seriously, I’ve never heard of this and I can’t see any other people putting up with it.
    There may or may not be legal issues around providing a lock for the lodger's door. Basically, if the lodger can lock their door from the inside, then what they have is a bedsit and not a house share.

Sounds ridiculous, but you'd be surprised what some people will try to get away with. All he needs is one painful renter who decides to fight it in court when he tries to eject him.

I could be wrong though - there may be further criteria to qualify something as a distinct living unit.

From the renter's POV, I've rented and I've never had a need to lock my door. If you don't trust the people that you're sharing the house with, then you find somewhere else or you say it to the landlord. I couldn't imagine spending any time sharing a house with someone I thought could/was stealing from me.
    Renter's insurance should also guarantee that you're not out of pocket in the event that a nimble-fingered mate of a housemate decides to make your ipod disappear.

I totally see your point on that Seamus. Have drawn up a contract & that has it all written out clearly what they can/can't do. Fingers crossed it all works out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

micmclo wrote: »
    Not at all unusual in my experience of renting over the last decade, especially in owner-occupier rent-a-room scenarios. I could see the necessity if you're living in student-style shared accommodation, where people you don't know will be constantly in and out. But Seamus raises some valid legal concerns for landlords who decide to go with this option.

Tbh if you're a professional living in accommodation where you are concerned that your landlord or flatmates are going to enter your room and steal your laptop, you've got bigger problems with your rental situation. If I honestly thought there was a risk of this happening, I would move out asap. Not having a house alarm would be more of a concern for me.

• Advertisement

I've a massive alsatian at home I'm thinking of bringing with me. Only if my tenant agrees, he'll keep any baddies out! Have found two people happy with my way or the high way, reasonable rent in a prime location so they're chuffed!

Advertisement