Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a test environment

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Hi

i would like to demo a website i have created that may be of interest to some clients.
    however i would not like to put it online just yet
    besides im not too sure what sort of net access these prospects have therefore i would like to setup a web server and client pc in the clients offices myself.

-would just a PC tower with apache+mysql work as the server ?
    -how do i connect 2+ pcs to this server so as they can surf the website that will be located on the server ?

many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You could use virtualisation - install VMware or Parallels tools, then grab a web server virtual image from something like the VMware image library, and you can run the web server on your laptop, and use the laptop web browser to access / display.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭meathenterpr

1. would just a PC tower with apache+mysql work as the server
    Short answer Yes. I use xampp to do my testing especially with oscommerce. There is plenty of others out there. Just look up WAMP in google. I'm using Vista, for my sins, if you are using linux all these are already available to you (if you (if they were installed at first)
    2. how do i connect 2+ pcs to this server so as they can surf the website that will be located on the server
    Do you run a internal network?
    For more information on installing & setting up Virtual Host Guide for WAMP check this link out
    http://guides.jlbn.net/setvh/setvh1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Surely the client has to have a net connection? Setting up stuff on their PC is going to be a pain in the ass, and cost you time and money, if anything goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Yea as mentioned above WAMP is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

WAMP is the business alright... just pop it on your laptop and bob's your uncle.

Do you have hosting?

I you want them to be able to see and browse it from the comfort of their own PCs, why not install it to a subdomain of a site you control and password protect it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

di11on wrote: »

I you want them to be able to see and browse it from the comfort of their own PCs, why not install it to a subdomain of a site you control and password protect it?

becuase this is s prototype and is taking alot of work to develop - we do not want to spend extra time on cross browser compatibility work just yet (before the system is sold) thereby by comming in with our own testing laptops we can ensure that the web experience will be perfect for the prospect - if client is interested then the cross browser (fine tuning) work can begin

thanks

p wrote: »
    Surely the client has to have a net connection? Setting up stuff on their PC is going to be a pain in the ass, and cost you time and money, if anything goes wrong.

yes if client has net connection but i make the trip 200 miles (for example) and they are having problems that day or network is slow - then thats a massive waste of time and money
    i never said anything about setting anything up on THEIR pc!

if i have a tower with me and 2 testing laptops set up on network then i know 100% that it will work - there will be no download speed issues and client will have a super web experience and this will all do lots for a 'sale'

tnx

For more information on installing & setting up Virtual Host Guide for WAMP check this link out
    http://guides.jlbn.net/setvh/setvh1.html

EXACTLY what i looking for

THANKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

A virtual setup this can even be run off of a usb key. Look at http://www.mokafive.com/ where you can download the app and a linux LAMP image of a few hundred Mb. Just pop the key into any system and you can boot the linux system on top of windows in seconds.

Advertisement