Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarette burn on laminate floor

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi, I have a laminate floor with two dirty great fag burns on it. I can probably sand the buurnt part down (can I?) but what should I use to refinish? The laminate is a light colour, not sure what kind of wood.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

Hi,
    Laminate flooring is actually just a "photograph" of wood that is laminated with a plastic seal and glued usually to an MDF base. Hence the name laminate flooring. It cannot be sanded and refinished as it is essentially not a real wood. You have no option but to replace the damaged parts and ban smoking around it! Another option is a rug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've repaired minor damage to laminates in the past with Rustins plastic wood (the solvent based one that comes in a small tube) it can be lightly sanded and sealed with a bit of danish oil or similar. It won't be perfect as you'll always spot the repair..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rungmc

misschip is right, you can no more repair a laminate floor than you can a formica worktop. laminated flooring is basically high density MDF with a plastic veneer on top, once that veneer gets damaged, then thats curtains... unless in fact you have a semi-solid floor, in which case it will have a degree of solid timber which you can sand.

Advertisement