Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quite an unusual L-Driver Issue

Options
  • 21-08-2008 6:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I've got a bit of a situation that I'd like some opinions on. Here goes:

My brother who holds a full license is heading to Dublin Airport in about a weeks time (next Friday). I'm going with him. The deal is that I bring the car back home (Cookstown, Omagh) as he is going abroad for quite some time and doesn't want to leave the car at the port.

I'm 21 and have held a NI/UK provisional license for nearly 2 years and am currently waiting for my test (like so many others) - it's in 7 weeks.

I'm insured to drive his car which is taxed & MoT's/NCT'd and I'm aware that I'm not legally allowed to drive a car unaccompanied.

What with the major changes regarding this in the South (where it used to be a bit more lax in the past) can I expect? Am I likely to be pulled over? And how will I as a UK driver with a UK car be treated? Can they fine me, arrest me, impound my car?

My brother tells me not to worry about it but I can't help it. I mean the car is a 01 VW Golf with a "Baby-On-Board" sticker, so he's probably right.

I don't intend to use motorways and won't be displaying L-Plates either as I feel I'm more likely to get pulled over.

Can someone give me some insight on that - especially how I, as a UK driver with UK car, will be treated if I indeed get pulled over by the gardai.

Thanks (& sorry for the lenghty post).;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Keep the plates off and drive on. I'm convinced those L plates drag more attention on you then is needed. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Keep the plates off and drive on. I'm convinced those L plates drag more attention on you then is needed. You'll be fine.

I'd agree with this.
    Also, stick to the motorway and don;t break the speed limit if you can help it - I've only ever seen cars pulled over on the motorway if they're hooring along at well over the speed limit.

*I would like to state that I am not in any way condoning taking your plates down and driving unaccompanied* ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

glupen wrote: »
    Can someone give me some insight on that - especially how I, as a UK driver with UK car, will be treated if I indeed get pulled over by the gardai.
    060303_GUANTANAMO_vmed_4p.widec.jpg

Seriously though. Keep to the speed limit, don't act the maggot and you'll be ok. But if you're stopped..........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think the point he's making is that he's less likely to be pulled over in this vehicle, not that it's less illegal...

Just keep under the speed limit and you'll be grand imo...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I would have thought you would be uninsured in this situation. Driving on a provisional unaccompanied in UK invalidates your policy. So if you had an accident in the south you would be uninsured and unlicenced....not a good combination

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yupp ...that's it in a nutshell.

Any other "advice" given to you here could spell huge amounts of trouble if you get caught or have an accident.

End of discussion, topic closed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Keep the plates off and drive on
    Heroditas wrote: »
    I'd agree with this.
    Also, stick to the motorway
    Flyer1 and Heroditas banned for 7 days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement