Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Alba

Options
  • 20-08-2008 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

BBC ALBA a new Scottish channel in Gaelic has begun testing on freq
    11954 H
    Symbol Rate 27.5
    FEC 2/3

or on channel 169 on Sky.

It is due to launch on 19th September.

You can also add bbc news 24 and BBC parliament to your sky box by using the same freq if you havent done so already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

an FYI on this channel is that it will show spl games in Gaelic. Not the top end of the table though - although you might get the odd Rangers/Celtic v bottom club type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Will this channel automatically appear on all boxes with a UK EPG or only those with Scottish cards when it launches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

It will be on all epgs in Uk. I believe it went on the epg yesterday. Ch169. The Channel officially starts 19th Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Picked it up myself last night while doing a rescan of the satellite on my dreambox.
    I honestly didn't realise it was Gaelic at all and thought it was Albanian and they were speaking Albanian, ah well :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Picked it up myself last night while doing a rescan of the satellite on my dreambox.
    I honestly didn't realise it was Gaelic at all and thought it was Albanian and they were speaking Albanian, ah well :/

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

an FYI on this channel is that it will show spl games in Gaelic. Not the top end of the table though - although you might get the odd Rangers/Celtic v bottom club type thing.

I think i read that it's only going to be delayed coverage though & no live stuff, due to Setantas SPL deal.

I thaught it's a bit odd though that it's appearing on ROI Sky subs aswell. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

They took passion tv epg slot

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would suspect its on the ROI EPG due to being 'as gaidhlig', and the unusual status minority languages get in the UK and particularly NI with the Belfast Agreement.

From memory BBC Scotland sometimes shows TG4 output with subtitles in to Scots Gaelic, wonder if any of them will end up here - could cause an interesting rights clash.

Gone from 169 on mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

yep gone from my ex-irish sub card but still on the uk ftv one. it really is redicoulos the way sky wont put bbc3 4 news and now bbc alba on the epg. Whats the point in advertising how great the sky+box is when you cant record any of them. surely the amount that bbc worldwide would charge them per subscriber would be worth it? anyway thats my rant over.... back to watching my ftv card...

• Advertisement

It is also ridiculous that we pay good money to sky and don't get these channels on epg and free viewers do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The BBC has obviously payed to have them on the UK EPG only. It will have nothing to do with Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The BBC has obviously payed to have them on the UK EPG only. It will have nothing to do with Sky.

that famous line that sky ireland quote all the time.... meaning they couldnt give a toss and dont want to pay bbc worldwide to put them on the irish epg like UPC do. why should bbc pay sky to put them on the irish epg. I know they have to pay sky in the uk due to the public service remit. Another case of sky using that great loophole that they are regulated in the uk and not ireland and can do what they like in ireland withough paying a single cent.

that famous line that sky ireland quote all the time.... meaning they couldnt give a toss and dont want to pay bbc worldwide to put them on the irish epg like UPC do.

Why should they give a toss when people continue to pay them every month?

Because they are a pack of ......

They are a business who want to maximise their profits every year?

I was saying pack of f.ckers

I stand by what I said.

I agree mossy

Advertisement