Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can satellite dishs be painted

Options
  • 20-08-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm painting the house at the moment and heve noticed that my seven year old sky dish and bracket is looking very weathered.

I was thinking of painting it with some ordianary exterior wood/metal gloss. Could anyone tell me if this is ok to do, or would it intefer with the signal.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

You can paint a dish but be careful to ensure you buy a non-glossy paint with a dull finish. Always go for non-glossy paints. Glossy, semi-glossy and metallic paints make the dish antenna extremely shiny, thereby increasing reflection of the signal to the LNB. This causes signal loss and will disrupt satellite TV reception.

Make sure when you paint the dish to take precautions to protect the LNB(Piece at front of the dish) from getting any paint on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I've cleaned the rust and repainted my old sky dish. Used non-gloss car paint. Dish looks like a new one now and i got a jump of 12% of signal strength and 11% quality. Sweet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Twice a year the sun is reflected on to LNB for a while each day (around 11.30 am).

Remove rust and use loads of car spray paint or else hammerite or else domestic exterior grade Polyurethane. Avoid bright/shiny, dull is good.

You can use "wetNdry" fine black emery/sand paper to dull the paint a few days after repainting.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I painted mine to camouflage it a bit against the wall, using Hammerite satin (smooth version).

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

I painted my dish 2 years ago with the same masonry paint that I used on the wall, and also got an improvement in signal and quality.....as well as a slight camouflage.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If it's water-based masonry paint, I would say it wouldn't be the wisest thing to do, as it can accelerate corrosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Thanks for all the advice folks.

Dull non glossy paint it is so.:)

Advertisement