Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky+ Recording Probem

Options
  • 20-08-2008 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

Since yesterday, I've been having problems with recording on Sky+. Specifically, recordings are failing. When I go to the channel that is supposed to be recording it shows No Satellite Signal.

On the other hand, if I am watching the channel where a programme is due to record, the recording happens but every other channel then shows No Satellite Signal.

If anyone knows what's going on please let me know - it's driving me mad and Sky Customer Service have been no help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

What are the signal and quality and signal strengh like on your box?

To check press services and press no 4 then no 6.

You should have an input no 1 and input no 2

If either of the 2 are very low or signal 2 been missing its possible the dish is misaligned due to wind or the cable may have become damaged somehow... and this would cause irregular recording failures as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GMOD

Thanks - will check that out tonight. We had the cables replaced recently because of water ingress so I don't think that's the issue. I'm afraid that the box itself is damaged because of it but trying to rule out everything else first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Strange, I got a similar issue same time as you, was watching something that was just recorded and it was skipping and every other recording for that night failed. Even if I was watching a program I wanted recorded and hit the record button, the red R would appear beside the program saying it was to be recorded but it wouldn't. It gave the same reason as you, not signal even though there was.
    I just unplugged the box for a while when I got home from work yesterday evening and it appears to be fine now.

No signal on Input 2 at all. This is also the connection where the water issue was with the cable so I'm wondering if maybe the connector was damaged also. Looks like there is probably a problem with the box itself. Guess that will cost to replace!?!?:confused:

You would be better to get the cable going to the rf2 replaced completely if u have been having water issues with it. Check the rf2 input isnt damaged by taking the working input and putting it into 2 to see if the signal appears. If it does the return it back to input 1 and get the faulty cable replaced.

• Advertisement

We actually had both cables replaced on Tuesday because of the water. I'll switch them and test the signal to make sure that it still isn't an issue but I have a bad feeling the inputs on the box were damaged by the water and I'm grasping at straws for an easy fix!!

Yeah, looks like the box is the problem. Anyone know how much a replacement will be or where to get one (if not from Sky themselves)

I doubt sky would replace it for you, so if you are to buy a brand new one it would cost you €299, other wise you could look one up on ebay...

If you have a HD tv would you consider upgrading to HD?? If so current cost to you as an existing customer would be €149 for the HD box but about €50-90 for the install. Your monthly sub would go up by €15 however...

With a couple of new HD channels due to come on stream and with the HD getting a new EPG shortly it would be my preferred choice....

That would be my preferred choice too actually thinking about it - now to buy a new TV!!! Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Sky Movies recordings have regularly failed for me for the past 2 years (since it was installed). I logged this problem with Sky and got a new box. Still it has happened-but only on Sky Movies (generally Indie and some of the 'lesser' channels).

Looking at the Signal test, I have less than 50% signal strength on both inputs; 50% signal quality on Input 1; and better than 50% on Input 2.

Any suggestions as to what I can do next? Seems strange that only Movies seen to be affected....we record plenty of other stuff.

It's a HD box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

GMOD wrote: »
    No signal on Input 2 at all. This is also the connection where the water issue was with the cable so I'm wondering if maybe the connector was damaged also. Looks like there is probably a problem with the box itself. Guess that will cost to replace!?!?:confused:
    Its probably just a software glitch, I had the exact same problem with a brand-new HD box and a new install. Input2 had no signal, and swapping the cables made no difference. I rebooted the box, and all was sorted.

Advertisement