Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista Partition Ideas

Options
  • 20-08-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Ok I've given up looking around the net for this so I'll just waste someones time here.On a friends computer running vista he has vista installed over 2 partitions in this way
    C:\Windows
    D:\Users,Programs Files/Data

This was the way it came pre loaded. I'm aware this is probably set up this way from the installation disc of Vista.All i want to know is can i either A)Use an app like vLite to edit the installation disc the way i want it or B) change registry keys(or whatever it is) to direct all applications to look on a drive of my choice.

Can it be done?And how?thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Something like partition magic should do it... There is a registry change that can be done to change the default program files directory to another drive letter HERE.

Nick

Edit: If your also using Vista, it comes with a much improved disk management utility (Access by right clicking computer link in start menu and selecting manage>Disk management), it should alow you to shrink the hard drive, and the create a new partition out of the unused space ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,797 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thats true. I havent fiddled with that a lot YoYo - it doesnt do all my partition needs - but I never noticed an option to redirect programs there. Im not saying its not there. just I didnt see it.

With vista though I've noticed the Green Folders seem to have some special significance. When I tried just copying them over during a backup once all I got was the green folder and not the contents - leading me to think the folder will point to the docs wherever its placed. You could try to leave a green folder shortcut in the usual C:\ place for the programs to use and it might just send the files over to D:\ for you. but thats a wild guess :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Overheal wrote: »
    Thats true. I havent fiddled with that a lot YoYo - it doesnt do all my partition needs - but I never noticed an option to redirect programs there. Im not saying its not there. just I didnt see it.

With vista though I've noticed the Green Folders seem to have some special significance. When I tried just copying them over during a backup once all I got was the green folder and not the contents - leading me to think the folder will point to the docs wherever its placed. You could try to leave a green folder shortcut in the usual C:\ place for the programs to use and it might just send the files over to D:\ for you. but thats a wild guess :)
    I misunderstood the question, thought op meant he wanted to start from scratch :$ ,

Nick

Advertisement