Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair dismissal/Discrimination

Options
  • 20-08-2008 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All
    I am not sure where exactly I have to post this.
    One of my friends is sick after joining a firm on permanent basis. After one week of work, he was admitted in the hospital and discharged after one week.

Due to new job, he resumed his work immediately after discharging from the hospital. However after one week he got sick again and doctors advised him to take rest for couple of weeks. So took off accordingly. Most of the time, he is in contact with the employer and updating his health condition

He got employment offer withdrawal letter from the employer saying due to uncertainties on health grounds they want to terminate with immediate effect and consider him once he is fit to work.

Immediately he has given the fit to work letter and requested to reinstate the offer. However after 3 weeks of time he could not receive positive response from the employer.

There is 2 months notice period from either side is mentioned in the employment offer. Whether it is considered as unfair dismissal or discrimination on health grounds.

Employment rights is not clear on this subject? Could anyone suggest where to approach and how?
    Thanks in advance.
    VRL

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If he is on any sort of a probationary period then notice/termination periods may be different.

Also if he's not fit to work then the employer can terminate his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vrl

He is on probation period. He is fit to work.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

vrl wrote: »
    He is on probation period. He is fit to work.

Thanks,
    Out of 5 weeks, he worked two weeks. He only got the "fit to work" letter after he got fired.

he was asked to submit fit to work in his offer withdrawal letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

vrl wrote: »
    he was asked to submit fit to work in his offer withdrawal letter.

There are more responses in the other thread you posted in the work & jobs forum. No need to post the same thread twice.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    There are more responses in the other thread you posted in the work & jobs forum. No need to post the same thread twice.

Apologies i did not know that i posted twice.
    I will try to findout how to delete the post from here.
    Thanks for letting me know.

VRL

Advertisement