Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private Sale?

Options
  • 20-08-2008 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

What is the usual method of payment in a private sale? Obviously I don't want cash in the house and cheques can bounce. Bank draft I suppose is the best option but what do people suggest other than that?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you don't want cash in the house get a Bank draft, get them to phone you in advance and give you the serial number of the draft. You then ring the bank to confirm it's kosher. Alternatively, if you both have accounts in the same bank, meet them in a branch, they withdraw the cash and you lodge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

How much will the sale be?
    Bank Draft is the best option, unless it would be a small amount of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

It would be in the region of 14k. I guess a bank draft would be the way to go. I didn't think of checkign the serial number though, thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I would adivse logding it as soon as you. Ideally do as mentioned above, do the deal at the bank, and lodge straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes deal at the bank in cash with buyer lodging it into your account, this rules out forgeries and any worries about keeping the cash at home, everyones happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭ergo

sorry for bumping this but I was searching around for the answer to this

am trying to sell my old car for a small amount (around €1,000) but I have moved to UK and am only around IRL on weekends etc when banks are closed. I presume it's not unreasonable to ask for cash for such a relatively small sum.

Otherwise how would I know if a cheque /draft would be above board over the course of a weekend or are there any other options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Asking for 1k in cash is no problem at all. A buyer won't have an issue with that.

Now if it was 10k it would be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

1000 euro is deffo a cash deal no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I think it would be good enough just to watch them get the draft at their branch as the bank won't issue a draft unless they have sufficient funds in their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭ergo

cool, thanks for the replies above, the interested party is happy to deal in cash, I just wasn't sure what would be acceptable

and that is useful advice to watch them get a draft in their own bank, that would have to be pretty secure (unless it's the Bank of Iceland of course...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sorry, but having been stung by a forged draft, I wouldn't touch one with a Barge Pole..........they are a guarantee of.........nothing!!

Best method, full stop, is a bank transfer - direct from their account to yours, ahead of collection date.

If that's not do-able, they need to send you the draft in advance, and you clear it in full, first.

I wouldn't hand over the vehicle under any other condition.

1k deal is def a cash job, though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement