Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office 2007 Student Ver.

Options
  • 20-08-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Harvey Norman have a new catalogue out,its called Back to school and work,in it there is an offer for Office 07 student for €79, the store in Blanchardstown had loads left yesterday when I got mine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

another alternative is open office, which is free, worth a look,

http://www.openoffice.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

daftdave wrote: »
    another alternative is open office, which is free, worth a look,

http://www.openoffice.org/

Yea and for all those students who won't be using MS Excel, Word, Powerpoint & possibly Access in their place of work after college and wouldn't benefit from the hands on experience using these packages during their school and college years, I would also endorse OpenOffice.

Otherwise this student deal is quite good

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

chump wrote: »
    Yea and for all those students who won't be using MS Excel, Word, Powerpoint & possibly Access in their place of work after college and wouldn't benefit from the hands on experience using these packages during their school and college years, I would also endorse OpenOffice.

Otherwise this student deal is quite good

Many companies are switching to OpenOffice due to the outrageous cost of MS Office.

Plus 95% of what most business people and students do with MS office is very basic and easy to swap between MS Office and OpenOffice.

The only area where I would agree with you is if you are accounting/business student who needs to do lots of complicated Excel work. Everything else it isn't worth the money.

BTW I use OpenOffice in work everyday and have very few issues interacting with office files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

The only reason I posted the info is DID are selling office for €129 down from €179 so in that sense €79 is a Bargain,but Open Office is also great I have used it and it really is a perfect alternative and legally free unlike the hacks a lot of people use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

The only reason I posted the info is DID are selling office for €129 down from €179 so in that sense €79 is a Bargain,but Open Office is also great I have used it and it really is a perfect alternative and legally free unlike the hacks a lot of people use.

i'd say this price drop in Microsoft Office is related to Open Office 3 soon to be released. Open Office 3 sounded amazing when the features were announced at start of year. It's in 2nd beta now but I haven't tried it. Will wait for full release. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

You did good, son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

+1 for OOo
    But also this is a pretty good deal, if you don't have a Harvey Normans Near you, PCw are doing the same deal. Its 100 in their flyer, but it comes up at 79 at the till. There are two boxes, be sure to explain you want the 79 package (sigh)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I'm not sure if this the correct place to ask this. I have open office on my home laptop, emailed a file to work laptop but I do not have open office on this. The problem I am having is that I can't open the file I emailed to myself, can anyone help???

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Microsoft's margin on office is SICK.

Do not buy it, whatever the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Cutie_pc wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this the correct place to ask this. I have open office on my home laptop, emailed a file to work laptop but I do not have open office on this. The problem I am having is that I can't open the file I emailed to myself, can anyone help???

Do you have MS Office on your work PC? What is the error message?

kmick wrote: »
    Do you have MS Office on your work PC? What is the error message?
    Yeah my work laptop has Office, it says to select a program to open it with, when I selected excel it opened as a bunch of strange symbols.

The message before that is :

The file is not in a recognizable format.

And then there is lots of things like save it to another program etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Cutie_pc wrote: »
    Yeah my work laptop has Office, it says to select a program to open it with, when I selected excel it opened as a bunch of strange symbols.

The message before that is :

The file is not in a recognizable format.

And then there is lots of things like save it to another program etc......

What format did you save the file in from open office??

Open Office will open MS Excel, Word, power point documents etc...

But MS office will not open Open office documents, unless you used the "save as " feature in open office and saved as a "microsoft" excel, word, power point document.

Many governments are also looking at open office for long term storage and management of files. The fact that the file format is "open" means that they could write documents in open office then present them in a many different formats, eg online etc...

Sorry my mistake, I only recently got the home laptop and it was the first time I had used open office. Thanks for your advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

There's a couple of things you can do to help with this. You can change the default file type that a document saves in when using OpenOffice. This setting is in the Tools menu, under Options and Load/Save, General. You can also import and export files into MS Office in the OpenOffice file format (ODF), using the MS Office ODF plug-in or XML/ODF converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

hi both dunnes and tesco are now selling it for 79euro as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Peats have it for €79 as well so €79 across the board but as far as I know DID are still €129.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Tesco (Celbridge) 69 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Tesco Wexford also have it for 69 euro. Don't forget that the licence for this version allows you to install it on 3 computers so pretty good bargain imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gymnipities

Has anyone seen this available online anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If anyone works for a large company, check with your IT guys to see if you're part of Microsoft's Home Use Programme. The company I work for is, and I got Office Enterprise 2007 for €28.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I could be wrong but i'm almost sure i saw this in PowerCity Tallaght for €60 yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

How does openoffice make any money?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How does openoffice make any money?

There is a commercial version of it released by Sun Microsystems called Staroffice. Many big companies pay for the commercial version in order to receive official support from Sun.

I'd suggest ignoring the hype to buy this software and if you really want to try it download a free 60 day trial instead: http://trial.trymicrosoftoffice.com/trialukireland/product.aspx?sku=3082920&culture=en-GB Then download and try OpenOffice for free. The new OpenOffice 3 version out soon, will have pdf import and editing, will be able to handle MS Office 2007/2008 files, and have improved notes and commenting features. There really is no reason to buy Office 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Oracle wrote: »
    There really is no reason to buy Office 2007.

The only reason I can think of is that, at a rough estimate, 95%+ of Irish companies that use an office software suite, use MS Office so people will want to be proficient using it.Simple as that.

Yes, but the 95% of Irish companies don't only use Office 2007, many use earlier versions. Plus Office Home and Student is not a complete office software suite anyway, there's no database.

Oracle wrote: »
    Yes, but the 95% of Irish companies don't only use Office 2007, many use earlier versions.

Excellent point, Office 2007 is as different from the older versions of MS Office as Open Office is to MS Office.

Advertisement