Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A glimpse of decent weather?

Options
  • 20-08-2008 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Okay nothing exciting but....

Rtavn1561.png
    Rtavn1801.png
    Rtavn1921.png

Not that it will last

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Well ECMWF is showing a similar picture, especially 29th - 31st; so maybe there's something in it!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsecmeur.html

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The consistency in the model runs over several days now for a settled spell starting around next wednesday certainly looks quite promising. Although the exact position of the high pressure will make a big difference to temps, we can still get some potent heat at this time of year. Obviously the weaker sun would prevent afternoon temps from doing anything too extreme, but these late Aug/early Sep heatwaves often tend to be very humid with high dewpoints and sultry nights. Certainly it will be a big shock to the system if some of these charts come off. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I'll take any fine spell at this time, don't care how warm/cold it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The last few runs have the high further and further west. We could end up with a cold northerly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Well, hopefully it will be a dry and sunny northerly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damn the charts are all going Worng. :(

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

mike65 wrote: »
    Damn the charts are all going Worng. :(

Mike.

You will eventually learn the pitfalls of looking that far ahead young Jedi;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote: »
    You will eventually learn the pitfalls of looking that far ahead young Jedi;)
    And on that note, look on the dark side, i only need 14mm more rain and i'll hit 200mm for the month. I feel August will go out with a bang.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lol, typical weather nut, just a little more rain needed :)

I feel the same :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This month ranks only 9th yet of my wettest months, though 20mm will bring it up to 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I can't see August going out with a bang - unless that high pressure moves north and weakens as it does so.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Heard on the radio this morning that there is some high pressure heading our way.

Typical! Just as the kids are heading back to school.

Met man said it wont last that long though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We have it now! And its a crappy sort of high. Looks like my neck of the woods is getting the best of whats on offer- which is nice. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's still over cast here. It appears we'll only get two fine days out of it.

Perhaps another hp will come on the scene next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Thanks to Wicklow Mountains, I have this glimpse.
    21C and sunny for past hour.

See Sat loop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I was flying home from Reus, Spain to Dublin yesterday and it was very easy to pick out the waves in the clouds created by the mountains and hills looking out the jet window at 36,000 feet. There were a few holes created by the Wicklow mountains yesterday also, which the pilot took advantage of to go down to land in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

mike65 wrote: »
    We have it now! And its a crappy sort of high.

Its a very strange High system we have in place now as its full of cloud! With these pressures, etc, we should be basking in sunshine and getting C&C sales back on target! ;-) Does anybody know the science why a High pressure system would cloud up so much? The cloud also collects over the land masses as well as the sea. Is it perhaps that the gulf stream is particularly cool? I see buoy temps at just 15C around Ireland, and they should be up at 17C perhaps. Maybe the sea is cool out further west in the atlantic.

Meanwhile down in Sp;ain and now over in France the High is acting like a high, and temperatures are as well.

> it was very easy to pick out the waves in the clouds created by the mountains and hills looking out the jet window

I spotted a lot of these 'ripples' on the sat pictures of late. Is this not normal behaviour with the low cloud levels that we have?

Overall, this 'summer' was a real wash-out weather-wise with a constant stream of low after low jet-streamed into us month after month and now when we do get a High its a cloudy and cool one! We just cant win.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Look where the winds are coming from- its all damp Maritime air, we are in effect drying it out for the continent, also the further south you go the stronger the sun is so it can burn off the cloud easier. If we had had this in June it would have probably been far nicer, but alas its late August and the sun hasn't the same power to burn off the clouds here at this time of year.

I was chatting to Snowbie about this last week and we both felt it would turn out this way but didn't want to put a dampener on peoples spirits given the summer we have ahead.
    If its any concession , the procession of lows likely from Sunday onwards are highly likely to have nice sunny interludes which is far preferable to the endless stratus muck of late imho

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thanks supercell. I can make sense of this boaring dull overcast weather now. Prefare the excitment of the low pressure my self.

Advertisement