Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Christ much more than human ?

Options
  • 19-08-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Ive been pondering that point and personally I do believe Christ is much more than any human, well he is the son of God. If Christ knew that he had to die for our sins, if isaiah points to the fact that he had to be crucified and if Christ knew scripture and that all prophecies of God would come true. Why then did Christ pray to God and asked if he could be spared from the cross ? So although Christ knew all along that he was going to die, he still found it very difficult to bring his own "Will to live" to conform with his fathers will that he die. Does this in some way argue that Jesus was a human being, not only the son of God. Im not so sure either that Jesus came to die. Perhaps he came to live, but our hardness of heart allowed God's purpose to adapt accordingly ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

EnigmasWhisper,

Since you referred to Isaiah, why not read the Messianic passage (again)
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah%2052:13-53:12;&version=47;

and Psalm 22:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2022;&version=47;

and Psalm 102:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%20102;&version=47;

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Ive been pondering that point and personally I do believe Christ is much more than any human, well he is the son of God. If Christ knew that he had to die for our sins, if isaiah points to the fact that he had to be crucified and if Christ knew scripture and that all prophecies of God would come true. Why then did Christ pray to God and asked if he could be spared from the cross ? So although Christ knew all along that he was going to die, he still found it very difficult to bring his own "Will to live" to conform with his fathers will that he die. Does this in some way argue that Jesus was a human being, not only the son of God. Im not so sure either that Jesus came to die. Perhaps he came to live, but our hardness of heart allowed God's purpose to adapt accordingly ?

Christ is presented to us in the New Testament as being both God and human. He chose to take on human attributes when He took on the garment of human flesh. Which said attributes included weakness. His true essence was in fact divine and not of this world. So while He was divine in nature we must not leave out the fact that He also took on human flesh along with all its weaknesses.

During His tenure down here sometimes these weaknesses manifested themselves, like the one you mentioned, which in fact was not merely a request to be spared the cross which was denied, rather it was more like a request to have the cup that only He could drink from to pass by Him if it be possible. But if you read on you'll notice that He also adds to that request the other request that, ‘nevertheless; not as I will, but Thy will be done’.

So yeah He wasn't too enamoured about the prospect of dying an agonizing, humiliating death in the natural but also to have God's wrath poured out Him while He did it, in fact the two could be viewed as one happening, but for me, if He was who He claimed then it wasn't the nails or the flagrum He was primarily asking to be spared from but the fact that He was to be forsaken by the one with whom He had never been departed from before.

Which leads onto to His cry on the cross "Father why hast thou forsaken me?", this was not only to fulfil scripture but also a real life weakness of the human side of His nature in reaction to a real life happening of a real life forsaking. His human side which He voluntarily took on Himself (if we are to believe the record) was a nature that was not His but one that He carried like a burden throughout His life down here. And one which He laid down freely after all was fulfilled which was spoken of Him by the prophets and all this was done on the slender promise that if He did it then the Father would raise Him up.

So if we are to believe that He was in fact God then the source which tells us that also tells us that He was also human, carrying in himself human weakness but never once conquered by that weakness even when minor expressions of that nature appear in the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Soul Winner, I'm not familiar with the scriptures, but, is there any mention of Christ's sexual urges? And if not why not, since he had to carry the "human weaknesses"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Soul Winner, I'm not familiar with the scriptures, but, is there any mention of Christ's sexual urges? And if not why not, since he had to carry the "human weaknesses"?

There's no specific mention of any sexual urges that He had but it does say that He was tempted in all points as we are but was without sin.

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."
    Hebrews 4:15

So I suppose that must include sexual temptation.

Advertisement