Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Poor Lungs

• 19-08-2008 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm off the cigarettes a few weeks. I started boot camp tonight and seriously, I was in agony with my lungs.

I'm just wondering how long it takes for the pain to go away when exercising. My mind and body could and wanted to keep going but my lungs were giving up. Does this improve after a few sessions of exercise or does it take a lot longer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I just wondering where you in bad pain, if so get to a doctor. I'm a ultra runner and a martial artist at one stage I was training five to six times a week whilst smoking. I have trained with quite a few smokers over the years I seen people in a heap but never in pain. At least I would sugget a chat with the instructors and if they thinks its ok just take it a bit easier and you should improve each time. Best of luck with both your smoke free life and you training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Archeron

While I am far from the level of fitness fanatic (far, far away....), I was going to the gym about 4 times a week when I stopped smoking. I never experienced pain of any sort in my lungs. Certainly a dreadful cough that could make me dizzy, and bringing up phlegm, but not pain.
    Perhaps you should mention it to a doctor as well as your trainer, particularly if it persists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Oh jaysis - really? I would have thought this was common. Obviously not.:pac:

Well, I had training again on thurs and the pain started to come on me again. But then - IT WENT AWAY!! :D I was so happy...

I think i've made a sh1t of my lungs from smoking tbh.... I was never active so I just don't think they're used to high activity. My dad unfortunately has lung cancer so maybe we have 'weak' lungs so to speak in our family..

Hopefully now the pain won't return. I'm training again in the morning so if it doesn't happen tomorrow, i'll know i've turned a corner. if it does, i'll take your advice and go to the doc's.

Thanks guys - much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Well Tri I glad to hear that it wasn't as bad the last time you trained. It could be nothing but then again its best to be safe with things like that. If you see this post before you go training have a chat with your instructors, however, a medic would be the best option.

Sorry to hear about you Dad, my own Dad died a few months from the same illness, so I wouldn't put the pain down to weak lungs. At the same time try not too worry about it you are now addressing the situation, and it does sound like its improving, but the general rule is if your body is reacting in a unusal way and its still there five days after get to your GP.

As I have an interest in fitness would you let us know how you get on today. I have never trained with those guys but I hear they are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hey,

Well i'm just back. Jaysis, they pushed us hard today.

Felt a bit of discomfort and I thought it would build up into the pain again but it didn't. Delighted. I think i've definitely turned that corner I was taking about!:D

Yeah, bootcamp are good. However, they are not very understanding when you tell them any ailments, even though they explicitly ask you to let them know during warm up. It's like they think you're taking the p!ss. Besides that, it's really good. But as someone who's never ran before, its so so hard. Most if it is running tbh.

Thanks for your kind post. Really appreciate it. Sorry about your dad too. It sucks, doesn't it?! xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Archeron

Well done, thanks for updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Keep it up Tri, sounds like you're doing really well. I feel that getting back into regular excercise was one of the most important factors in helping me to give up.

Advertisement