Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky/NTL conflict

Options
  • 19-08-2008 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

So I've been pestering NTL to connect me to their new network in my area, they did it yesterday. But now I notice that if I watch my Sky+ through coaxial cable the channel is affected by an intermittent electronic flash on the screen. If I watch Sky through a scart lead there is no interference, or if I unplug the NTL signal from the back of the digibox the interference also disappears. I have tried setting the Sky box to transmit from all the ranges of 21 to 69 but the interference remains. (The reason I have Sky and NTL is because it's a cheaper alternative to multiroom and it works for me) Wasn't sure to post this in Satellite or Cable as it affects both. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

you need a isolator i d say from ntl get them out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Sounds like the skybox is outputting on he same frequency as one of the analogue channels. 3 channels are moved when they connected you to the new system. Usually this problem is fixed up by altering the output of the Skybox/VCR or what ever device is causing the problem. The three channels broadcast on 471,543,575Mhz.

The other problem you were having, if you plug the NTL direct into the TV is the picture clear, no interference on BBC2?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Thanks Lads, Ding Dong your NTL info is correct as always. I plugged their signal straight in to the tv and BBC2 is lovely and clear, so that leaves a quandary that I cant run the NTL signal through the Sky box. Since getting Sky+ I don't have a VCR connected and I have tried altering the Sky RF outlet number, can't truthfully say I've tried all the numbers between 21 and 69, but have tried most and that interference doesn't alter. I don't think there is any other way to alter the frequency?

Right I was being lazy and not meticulous enough, I went through ALL, from Channel 21 on the RF Outputs on the Sky Box and 26 looked promising, then all the late 30's are transmitting without any interference, plus BBC2 is coming in loud and clear, only quandary now is to select which channel offers the best signal!! I can now cancel the NTL Service call and not look foolish, thanks for all your help Ding Dong!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Another possibility is that the NTL signal level is overloading the sky box is which case a variable attenuator might work.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Right I was being lazy and not meticulous enough, I went through ALL, from Channel 21 on the RF Outputs on the Sky Box and 26 looked promising, then all the late 30's are transmitting without any interference, plus BBC2 is coming in loud and clear, only quandary now is to select which channel offers the best signal!! I can now cancel the NTL Service call and not look foolish, thanks for all your help Ding Dong!

No problem at all VI its about time you got a clear BBC2. If the interference on BBC2 only happens when you have it going in and out of the sky box its possible the leads need to be replaced.

I got as far as RF output 42 before I left for work, will continue through the rest later. I originally had it on output 60 which gave a lovely sharp signal, but this is where the interference was occurring. I did notice the Satellite signal was not as good coming from say Channel 36. I'm off up to Pan TV on Camden Street to get one of those attenuators that Tony referred to it might allow me to continue with ch 60, while there I'll get a new piece of coax to replace the internal leads. Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Try and get a variable attenuator rather than a fixed value

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Will nip down to Maplin's at lunchtime, Pan TV had none, got some new cables though.

Advertisement