Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applied Computing

• 19-08-2008 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Posted this in waterford it too, but what the hey.

Hi there smile.gif

I've been told that the Applied Computing course in Letterkenny isnt good, that I wont learn very much at all. I find this hard to believe looking down through the list of subjects: http://www.lyit.ie/courses/computing...ing_LY708.html

Can any tech head have a look through that subject list and tell me whether or not it is worthwhile doing?

I'd presume that the applied computing course in Waterford is pretty much the same.

Is anyone on the Applied Computing course in waterford or Letterkenny? Can anyone explain the difference between computer science vs an applied computing degree?

I'm quite worried now, as I sorta had my heart on Letterkenny but dont want to be wasting my time either.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Jester01 wrote: »
    I've been told that the Applied Computing course in Letterkenny isnt good, that I wont learn very much at all.

By whom? By former students? By staff? By a friend of a friend who hear from someone down the pub? All Institute of Technology's award the same HETAC standard degree, so it is no better/worse than any other IT.
    Can any tech head have a look through that subject list and tell me whether or not it is worthwhile doing?

As somebody who has lectured on numerous computer science/IT courses, I take it I am "tech head" enough for you. :)

I see nothing wrong with that syllabus. In fact, the computer graphics and mobile applications modules look quite enticing.
    Can anyone explain the difference between computer science vs an applied computing degree?

I honestly have no idea. I assume the latter might have more hands-on that a pure computer science degree.

I would say go for it. You will get a level 8 degree out of it, nothing wrong with that at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    By whom? By former students? By staff? By a friend of a friend who hear from someone down the pub? All Institute of Technology's award the same HETAC standard degree, so it is no better/worse than any other IT.

Wouldnt the material, lecture quality and the likes vary from IT to IT therefore one course might be better then another?

As somebody who has lectured on numerous computer science/IT courses, I take it I am "tech head" enough for you. :)
    I honestly have no idea. I assume the latter might have more hands-on that a pure computer science degree.

Aye that course is pretty tough degree. Lots of maths, physics and electronics for the first three years. Covers a wide range of stuff and compared to another computing course in the college there is a big difference between materail covered, lecturers etc.
    I would say go for it. You will get a level 8 degree out of it, nothing wrong with that at all.

True, but at the end of the day you want to pick a course that covers areas that will benefit you when looking for jobs, is useful and worth while studying. Iv seen cert courses where people thought it was the most boring irrelevent course ever and have found it difficult to get jobs even after passing all their exams. :)

Sully wrote: »
    Wouldnt the material, lecture quality and the likes vary from IT to IT therefore one course might be better then another?

Lecturers vary from semester to semester in the same IT, so there is always going to be some variability, no matter where you do a course.

For example, in a certain college (not ITB, btw), I did an operating systems module, using Linux. The following semester, in the same college, the lecturer used Windows. Same syllabus, same notes, different examples, different hands-on labs.

Still the same award at the end of the course, though.
    True, but at the end of the day you want to pick a course that covers areas that will benefit you when looking for jobs, is useful and worth while studying.

I don't believe employers look specifically at the subject content of a degree, they want a 2.1 or above in a computing related field (correct me if I'm wrong here). So, from that perspective, a level 8 degree is a level 8 degree, no matter where you do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Still the same award at the end of the course, though.

I don't believe employers look specifically at the subject content of a degree, they want a 2.1 or above in a computing related field (correct me if I'm wrong here). So, from that perspective, a level 8 degree is a level 8 degree, no matter where you do it.

Ya thats true. Never thought of that. Me personally, and im not sure if this is something people consider, I remember when I applied for that course (in WIT) I was looking at the course content and was curious to know the difference between different computer courses between colleges and which was the better one in terms of content - even though they gave the same award. Strange?!

Like, I know people who done IT courses and felt it was a wasted degree that they didnt learn much that interested them. Bad choice of course maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Long time no posting on boards :(

Anyway, I done the Applied Computing course in LYIT, excellent course, facilites in the college are first class as are MOST of the lecturer's *spelling!*

The other options like mobile applications are just as good, if your willing/wanting to push the boundaries with new things in projects etc then you will get the backing there.

I done the course anyway and currently doing contact Java dev work that more than pays my way in life...I'd definitley put this down as being due to my learnings in LYIT ;)

Also its an excellent town to be a student in, I got it very hard to leave the north west but I'm finding my feet in Oz now!

• Advertisement

Like, I know people who done IT courses and felt it was a wasted degree that they didnt learn much that interested them. Bad choice of course maybe?

I would like to think that is the case.

All courses go through fairly rigorous validation processes, and generally reflect the are of interest/expertise of the lecturing staff. Therefore, in most cases, while the contend might vary, the general standard should be relatively comparable.

I would like to think that is the case.

All courses go through fairly rigorous validation processes, and generally reflect the are of interest/expertise of the lecturing staff. Therefore, in most cases, while the contend might vary, the general standard should be relatively comparable.

Fair enough, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Hey people im actualli going into this course in lyit to year 2 now and i have no complaints about it, i think its a great course and has a great atmosphere, whoever told you it was crap should be shot :D:D

Advertisement