Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss Iss -ue

Options
  • 19-08-2008 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Greetings Peoples
    I have been offered a job teaching in Switzerland in the St Gallen area. The money is 5000chf a month. (I know how much it is in euro)
    Of which rent will be deducted of 450chf for a shared apartment.
    I am a NQT and considering taking the job.

Does anyone have any advice? Or especially has anyone ever lived there.
    I really enjoy playing football and will go skiing/snowboarding if I have the cash.

Is salary offered adequate? Obviously the accommodation is based on what is it like. But is this an average or fair price?

I also wondering if it possible to have the football stations for the English premiership-Setanta and Sky Sports.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Regards

Slace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Would that be full-time teaching? That seems very low if so... I am originally from Switzerland, and when I worked there in the summer holidays while in college in Ireland (15+ years ago), I got 20 CHF/ hour for working in a menial factory job. According to this document: http://www.jobpilot.ch/binary/pdf/presse/PRFach/Gehaltestest.pdf , average salary for teachers was 81'250 in 2004 so would have gone up by now too, I'd say?

My mother still lives in Switzerland, in Canton Aargau, and her partner is a teacher in the Realschule (secondary school), if you have any specific questions I'd be willing to ask her and get back to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Checked with my mom's partner, she says the salary given would be acceptable for a young or very new teacher, and the deduction for rent seems about normal for a large room in a decent house.

Advertisement