Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage advice??

Options
  • 19-08-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

A question for any mortgage experts...

I am coming off a fixed rate mortgage now...and am wondering what my best option is from here.

I see that there are interest rate cuts expected next year...so is it advisable to go for a tracker or variable rate mortgage at moment rather than fixed.

Thanks...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

to be honest no one knows where interest rates are going over the next 1-2 years. so no-one not even a broker could give you an accurate answer.

at best it would be an educated guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm in the same boat- best new offer of 5.2% fixed for 2 years.
    But it's all guess work again...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

With the falls in property prices you may be stuck with your current mortgage providor. You need to find out what your options are- if you are contacting a broker- make sure they are independent (and not tied to a particular lender). Alternately contact several of the major providors yourself to see what is open to you.

Recent statements from the ECB have indicated that their 2% inflation target will remain to the fore, irrespective of other economic indicators. This was a deliberate comment to try to cool speculation regarding the possibility of interest rates starting to fall next April/May. Its not safe to assume they will either rise or fall- none of us have crystal balls......

If I were in your position and could lock in at 5.10/5.20% for 2 years, I'd do it, and re-evaluate the lie of the land two/three years down the road. Its totally unrealistic to expect a return to 2-3% rates though........

Advertisement