Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacking Shoes

Options
  • 19-08-2008 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Folks,

I will be travelling to SE Asia for 2 months at the end of the year and am looking for the ultimate twalking/hiking shoe. Needs to be waterproof, breathable, light and durable. i have been looking online, but there is so much choice. I like the look off ECCO, Timberland and Vasque....does anyone have any suggestions???

I have experienced so many sh!t shoes when travelling that i have decided to go all out and spend money on a great pair!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I am going to SE Asia next month for 3 months and have thought about this too.
    I have bought a pair of North Face Hedghog's for 110 euro

http://www2.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=EU&model=AX4R&language=en
    I broke them in when i was climbing the Galtee's and Mangerton.
    They are great. Light, waterproof, dont make me blister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bazpaul

Nice they look good. did you buy them in dublin?? I can go into the North Face shop and request they get these in right???

I was also looking at timberland, imnot sure if they have a great rep for hiking shoes....but to me a beginner, these look good:

http://www.shoebuy.com/timberland-hypertrail-low-gore-tex-xcr-membrane/267146/568002

i wonder is it cheaper....to rty the shoes in the shop here, but buy them online in an english store???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Where ever you buy them I would suggest going to Great Outdoors and getting them fitted properly. I would also avoid timberland for hiking boots - they're more a fashion than useable outdoors. Go for recognised outdoor brand names in recognised outdoor shops and you won't go wrong. Ecco I would be doubtful off (although I could be wrong) and timberland may look good down on a dance floor but that's about it.

I can't comment on vasque as I've never heard of them.

Alright...yeh i had a feeling Timberlands might be more of a fashion accessory!! Theres a few Ecco shops around dublin i was gonna look at!

When you say 'get them fitted' in great outdoors, does that mean you can buy shoes elsewhere and bring them in there. i was in great outdoors last week and their selction was limited and mainly consisted of Hi-Tek which i wouldnt trust myself!

Can you order in alot of different shoes to Great Outdoors???

What about New-Balance.....are they any use??

I was looking at these Keens, they lok great from reviews i have read:

http://www.rei.com/product/772933

• Advertisement

What GO will do is custom fit a pair of boots to fit you feet. They will order stuff in for you if you want them too and if you're a member of the MCI they'll give you a 10% discount. I find that with the discount they can compete with online prices (but I mostly buy climbing gear from them). I also like to support local enterprise and if I am paying a few quid more I also get the advantage of gettting to physically see my goods before I buy them.

You could go into them and discuss your requirements with them, they're very helpful for such things.

Keen do good sandles too by the way, I can recommend them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I bought mine in mahers outdoors in cork. TBH i wouldnt skim on your shoes. You will be wearing them days on end. THey have to be right and its worth paying a bit extra for them

Also they didnt have my size so they ordered in a 8 1/2 specially for me so its worth the extra few euro. Anyway you wont save that much buying online with these shoes as far as i can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Evil Phil wrote: »
    .....I also like to support local enterprise and if I am paying a few quid more I also get the advantage of gettting to physically see my goods before I buy them.

You could go into them and discuss your requirements with them, they're very helpful for such things.

You'll also know you're buying from a retailer that spends a lot of time and money supporting the local mountain rescue team too - see www.dwmrt.ie for more info.

The lads/lasses in there are spot on when it comes to sizing and advising on a purchase. Most are keen travellers or outdoors-people themselves, so they'll usually know what they're talking to you about, or will go get someone who knows the kit/activity if it's not their own forté.

Gil

Advertisement