Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will be doing a continuose 10-Hour Continuous Chanting-Meditation session tomorrow

Options
  • 19-08-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would let you know I will be undertaking a 10-Hour continuous Chanting-Meditation session tomorrow. Really want to effect some deep down changes in my life. Actually, I am so worried I do not have the will power to survive the full 10 hours that if I post it here I will never live it down if I don't do it. Now that I have posted it, I have to do it.
    I'll let you know how it feels after.
    Wish me luck, I have never done this before...I must be mad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

You can do it if you want to!

And if you don't, all the more reason to do it anyway!

Good luck.
    AD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

You are bound to hit some deep inner realms with that carry-on.

Are you joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

What do you chant during this and do you have to sit leg crossed for ten hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Three hours done, and truly an amazing experience so far. Now for an enjoyable 20 mins break for a smoke and a coffee.
    I have learned one very important lesson already, don't try to control the order in which the mind wants to process stuff. I started out with a list of issues I wanted to address and of course started at issue no 1. No way was my mind going to let me do this. It processes randomly. The more I tried to fight this, the more unfocused things became. Once I decided to let the mind have its own way and just observe the process I found that automatically I would return time and again to touch on each subject.

experience
    0utpost31 wrote: »
    You are bound to hit some deep inner realms with that carry-on.

Are you joking?
    Yes some very deep realms indeed. What was interesting was to watch as all the connections between what appeared to be random things began to emerge. Not joking, 10 hours it must be. That is what I determined to do, and less than that would be a failure in my books. After all, what is 10 hours out of my whole life!
    What do you chant during this and do you have to sit leg crossed for ten hours?
    Each Buddhist sect has its own chant or mantra to repeat. The secret is, for want of a better word, that it is not about the meaning of the words, many of which are lost in antiquity, it is more about the concepts carried in the words and the vibration that the words repeated set up within one's body.
    As an analogy, think of the effect that house music has on oneself at a live event. It become hypnotic, right? Same principle is at work here. Well there is in fact a lot more to it than that, but that will do for starters. You can sit in what ever manner best suits you. I sit crossed legs on cushions, if my back get to tired, I will use a chair. The important thing is to do this in a peaceful place with no interruptions.
    Also realized after 3 hours I am addicted to Boards.IE:o
    Oh well, coffee done. Back to work.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Success, it was very hard to do, but the effort was really worth it. Received a lot of clarity, made a lot of connections between things I initially thought were we individual issues. Most enjoyable was the feeling of emptiness, calm and peace I experienced after it. Now I can understand the attraction of becoming a monk:)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

Great, Asiaprod - Congratulations! Addicted to Boards i.e. :D, aren't we all? Our version of being monks :D discussing the infinite. Just a precaution so we don't get too attached to non-attachment.

Nearly forgot to post this. The following text was the inspiration for me to do the 10 hours. The word Prayer can be replaced by the word chant, meditation, or determination. It makes a whole lot of sense. I felt an especial attraction to the last verse.

Prayer...It is the courage to not give up. It is a battle to drive out
    our weakness of hanging our heads and thinking that something is
    "impossible." Prayer is a task through which we engrave in the depths
    of our lives the conviction that "this situation can be changed!
    Definitely!"

Prayer...It is an act to destroy ones fear, to banish ones sadness. It is
    an act to ignite hope in ones life. It is a revolution of rewriting the
    scenario of our destiny. Believe in yourself! Do not demean yourself.
    The act of demeaning oneself is a betrayal to Buddhism. It is a slander
    of one's innate Buddhahood.

Furthermore, Prayer...It is a challenge to match the gears of our life to
    the rotation of the great universe. It is a drama in which we, who were
    embraced by the universe, return that embrace back to the universe, and
    with the great universe as our ally, we enable our lives to begin
    revolving towards a ceaseless flow of happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Well done Asia, I'm happy you got the result you wanted from your experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Wow, ten hours! I'd like to try something like that someday.
    Seems like a huge challenge.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Nice work!

I'm usually lucky if I make it to ten minutes...

Advertisement