Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodating Viewings

Options
  • 19-08-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

Well there now,

Myself and the girl are about 2 weeks from the end of our years lease, The letting agent is asking to start viewings. I'm not happy about this as we'll have to disrupt our lives to accommodate him..i.e leave the apartment, put our stuff away. I'm of the opinion that we've paid our rent till a certain date and we're under no obligation to allow him in with strangers.

My girlfriend is worried that we are somehow obligated to let this go ahead But not only do I disagree, I believe that we deserve quiet and uninterrupted enjoyment of the apartment until the lease is up.

I'm going to be telling him that he can start viewings 5days before we move out (as I see it we'll be packing up our stuff e.t.c) and at that I'm being generous.

Am I totally in the wrong here and or being unreasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

I don’t think you are being unreasonable to be honest. You should put it to him regardless of whatever you think he wants. If he’s still huffing and puffing then im sure you can come to arrangement for him to only show it while you're at work etc when it’s convenient. I wouldn’t be to worried about personal items lying around as nobody will be snooping or thieving. but just make sure the house is pretty tidy the night before you go to bed. At the end of the day it’s his property and he needs people in there the day you leave and he needs sufficient time to find these people to rent, especially with the current rental market. So try and work together if you can
    best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

My girlfriend is worried that we are somehow obligated to let this go ahead But not only do I disagree, I believe that we deserve quiet and uninterrupted enjoyment of the apartment until the lease is up.

I'm going to be telling him that he can start viewings 5days before we move out (as I see it we'll be packing up our stuff e.t.c) and at that I'm being generous.

Am I totally in the wrong here and or being unreasonable?
    Check the wording of your lease. There may be a clause in there about viewings, in which case the landlord is being reasonable. My own lease, which is a "one size fits all" lease used by one of the large letting agencies, includes the right to allow viewings for one month before the end of the lease if it's not being renewed. It's irritating, but it's not unusual. Have a look at this PDF lease template produced by Myhome.ie:
    The Tenant agrees that the Landlord may enter the property during the final month of tenancy to allow viewings for potential future Tenants provided reasonable notice is given.

On the other hand, if there is nothing mentioned about viewings in the lease, then it seems perfectly reasonable to object - the landlord should probably have thought about the issue before writing the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Check the wording of your lease. There may be a clause in there about viewings, in which case the landlord is being reasonable.
    this is correct - check your lease. If it is int here that they can show the property then you have no choice.

anyway, I do think it is a bit unreasonable for you not to allow him to have viewings anyway - its his property, you are moving out, surely if he's been a decent LL to you it is only fair for you to facilitate him in finding a replacemet tenant? or are you leaving on bad terms?

Advertisement