Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German lessons in Dublin

Options
  • 19-08-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I'm looking for someone or somewhere to get some beginner's lessons in German. I have been to Germany on numerous occassions and have a friend over there who I would love to surprise next time I'm over with a few words!! I am looking for a very basic tuition covering tenses, verbs, vocabulary etc. I have looked at a few places that do it, such as the Goethe Institute and a place on Fitzpatrick Street, but unfortunately, they are expensive and clash with my working hours in September and October when I have to do overtime. If anyone could even just suggest a few other places, I would be grateful. The only free time I have is Friday evening, Saturday afternoon from 2 and Tuesday evening 6.30 until 8. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

this might be useful?

Alternatively, your local public library will generally have a lot of information, maybe notices up etc from someone who wants to do a one-to-one language exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

THANKS THAT HAS BEEN REALLY HELPFUL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

síofra wrote: »
    I'm looking for someone or somewhere to get some beginner's lessons in German. I have been to Germany on numerous occassions and have a friend over there who I would love to surprise next time I'm over with a few words!! I am looking for a very basic tuition covering tenses, verbs, vocabulary etc. I have looked at a few places that do it, such as the Goethe Institute and a place on Fitzpatrick Street, but unfortunately, they are expensive and clash with my working hours in September and October when I have to do overtime. If anyone could even just suggest a few other places, I would be grateful. The only free time I have is Friday evening, Saturday afternoon from 2 and Tuesday evening 6.30 until 8. Thanks

I've started learning German (very basic). Not for any particular reason, just wanna learn a language. I haven't got to any classes. I bought the Michel Thomas language course on cd which i find very good. It's about 90 quid in Hodges & Figgis which is where i bought it. It's eight cds of foundation German (or you can just buy the first two cd's as an introductory course) for about 25 euro. You don't need any pen or paper, you just listen. He teaches two students on the cd's and it's like you're the third student. You'll be amazed how much you'll find you can speak within a couple of hours. And the great thing is you can learn in your own time and whether you're walking or on the bus etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TGE

I'm half-German and my girlfriend is German. We live in Raheny and would be willing to help you.

Much better than going down the audio-book route, and better value for money, because she is a native speaker, and being semi-native, I have the experience of the learning difficulties with the language, so we're a good combination.

PM if you want to make contact.

Advertisement