Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic Reference

Options
  • 19-08-2008 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi Guys,

Forgive my ignorance, but what should be written in a reference from your lecturer. Only i asked for one, she said sure no problem, just give me th details........errmm what details should i give her????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Does she know what course you did,what modules you had her for,marks in exams,essays of interest to the masters?You aren't supposed to know what is written in the reference so i presume that she wanted general info.Of course it would be best to ask her!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I assume you were in her seminar,lecture!
    Name, name of course, modules studies, results, areas of particular interest and reasons why you feel you are ready for the chosen course. They may wish to meet you so give your number!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

harrybosch wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but what should be written in a reference from your lecturer. Only i asked for one, she said sure no problem, just give me th details........errmm what details should i give her????
    Of course it would be best to ask her!

Best advice, tbh.

I've given references before for students that were in my class and that I actually knew. These were for jobs they were applying for, so it was the standard stuff in the reference - what their work was like, punctuality, personality, etc.

I didn't require any info from the students, because I knew the students. Does the lecturer know you? If not, I would question why you would bother asking this person for a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

If the reference is for another course you are going to do, it may also be useful for your lecturer to know what you plan to do so she can tailor it towards that, and perhaps say why the course will be beneficial for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I didn't require any info from the students, because I knew the students. Does the lecturer know you? If not, I would question why you would bother asking this person for a reference.

Well like, I've just finished a degree and I have not said two words to any lecturer I've ever had, thats not to say that one doesn't understand the material, not that I can honestly say I did fully but I know of guys who never said a word in a tutorial or met a lecturer/tutor who would have the highest grades in the class.
    So what does it mean, to be familiar with your lecturers?

I'm currently in the same postion, looking for references and basically the guy just wants to see your results and then writes his reference based on that.

Maybe it's different with courses that are more based on project work and research.

• Advertisement
Advertisement