Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exchanging EU driving licence for an Irish one

Options
  • 19-08-2008 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi Folks,

I have some questions I hope somebody here could shed a bit of light on them.

I would like to exchange my Spanish driving licence for an Irish one. I contacted Dublin Motor Tax office and they said that the expiration date would be ten years from now on. I.e. If I request my licence to be changed now, I would have an expiry date of August/September 2018 (ten years)

My only concern is what happens with my "driving experience". I got my spanish licence issued on March 2003, that's five years now. If in the future I want to buy a car here, how could I prove the insurance company that I actually have X years of driving experience? Because I guess that issue date of my new Irish driving licence would be August/September 2008. That would mean that I just have one month of driving experience.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mines

Thanks for your reply donegalfella.

I was just rounding date of expiration - August if I manage to get all this thing sorted out before the end of this month, so it would be August 2018.

And regarding the insurance companys here - Yes, I don't think they will give me too much credit (mostly because I am used to drive on the right...)

Anyway I will make a photocopy of my previous licence - Just in case.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The dates on your licence are of no relevance to an insurance company. (One could have a licence for 10 years and never drive during that time.)

The insurance company will want to know how many years 'claims free' that you have been driving and they will not take into account those years ammassed in a foreign country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

You are not currently obliged to exchange your EU issued licence for an Irish one. You could just drive on the EU one.

I dont know if legally the insurance companies could discriminate against an EU licence holder other than perhaps a weighting for previous driving on the right.

I know I'm not actually obligued to do so. It's just a matter of usefulness: my spanish licence is pretty big to fit it on my pocket (it's the old EU big pink piece of cardboard model, the previous ones) and besides that, the address is mispelled and wrong.

(And I don't like myself on the photo :D)

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mines wrote: »
    I know I'm not actually obligued to do so. It's just a matter of usefulness: my spanish licence is pretty big to fit it on my pocket (it's the old EU big pink piece of cardboard model, the previous ones) and besides that, the address is mispelled and wrong.

(And I don't like myself on the photo :D)

Cheers.

You're aware our licences are the big pink piece of cardboard too? Except its more like stiff paper...

No, owned. :rolleyes:

I thought they were issuing the new EU licence here as well.

Anyway I was only joking with the cardboard&photo stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, unfortunately we still think its 1983 or whatever... even British officers in less touristy places think my licence is faked cause of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Have to admit that I don't have any information on how Spanish licences work, do they expire after say 10 years or so like the Irish ones do? If this is the case, fair enough, exchanging it might have no disadvantages at least. However, some countries issue (or at least did so in the past) licences that don't have to be renewed, they are valid forever, such as the EU licence issued in Germany (neat little credit card format :-) ) I'll make sure to hang on to that :D
    And getting insurance with EU licence was no problem at all either, got a relly good quote, don't think I would pay less if I had an Irish licence.

5unflower wrote: »
    Have to admit that I don't have any information on how Spanish licences work, do they expire after say 10 years or so like the Irish ones do? If this is the case, fair enough, exchanging it might have no disadvantages at least. However, some countries issue (or at least did so in the past) licences that don't have to be renewed, they are valid forever, such as the EU licence issued in Germany (neat little credit card format :-) ) I'll make sure to hang on to that :D
    And getting insurance with EU licence was no problem at all either, got a relly good quote, don't think I would pay less if I had an Irish licence.

Yep. Actually my driving licence was issued on 2003, expiring on 2013, so 10 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement