Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is free view available all over ireland

Options
  • 18-08-2008 10:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

ok , please educate the ignorant

im thinking of getting free view as i understand most of the chanells i would require are available on it , i also want to have a feed into 3 rooms in the house
    i presently have a digital sky dish and a sky subscription which i pay about 30 euro a mth for , its a basic package and i have been told if i want a feed into more than one room its an extra 15 euro a mth

what i want to know is , , is it completly free and is there a charge for multi room like there is with sky

thanks a bunch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

cancel Sky.

Buy a free to view card. Sometimes called yellow house. (try ebay)
    card details on www.freesatfromsky.co.uk

remove your Irish card and insert the new one.

If you want it in a second room, buy a second box and card.
    for a third room, buy a third box and card.

make sure your dish has a quad lnb as opposed to a single lnb.
    that is 4 cable outlet ports at the end of the arm.
    if not, you will need one of these too.
    you need to send a separate cable from the dish to each room.
    one dish will suffice.

It is completely free of monthly bills.
    you just pay the start up costs of the new equipment which should be about eur100 per room all in for box and card.

there is also another system out now called freesat from the BBC/ITV.
    you can buy these boxes up north..
    don't have it myself so cannot tell you the difference in channel list however its not unlike sky solution.
    sky card will give you a few channels that freesat wont and vice versa.
    because you already have a sky box, i would suggest you stick with sky solution.

the third system is FREEVIEW.
    Do not buy this as it has nothing to do with satellite.
    It is TV aerial based and only works in very few parts of Ireland that are close to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

You could also just use free to air satellite boxes if Ch5 is not a big deal to you. Dont get confused though Freeview and Freesat are two completely different platforms.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Or search this forum for FTA or Freesat. Freesat requires new hardware but you can get HD and recording features. FTA is available to you right now, all you have to do is cancel sky (and mess around with sky news etc read the stickies).

digit-freeview-component.gif is a UK-only digital TV service. Nothing to do with satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Pal wrote: »
    cancel Sky.

Buy a free to view card. Sometimes called yellow house. (try ebay)
    card details on www.freesatfromsky.co.uk

remove your Irish card and insert the new one.

If you want it in a second room, buy a second box and card.
    for a third room, buy a third box and card.

make sure your dish has a quad lnb as opposed to a single lnb.
    that is 4 cable outlet ports at the end of the arm.
    if not, you will need one of these too.
    you need to send a separate cable from the dish to each room.
    one dish will suffice.

It is completely free of monthly bills.
    you just pay the start up costs of the new equipment which should be about eur100 per room all in for box and card.

there is also another system out now called freesat from the BBC/ITV.
    you can buy these boxes up north..
    don't have it myself so cannot tell you the difference in channel list however its not unlike sky solution.
    sky card will give you a few channels that freesat wont and vice versa.
    because you already have a sky box, i would suggest you stick with sky solution.

the third system is FREEVIEW.
    Do not buy this as it has nothing to do with satellite.
    It is TV aerial based and only works in very few parts of Ireland that are close to the UK.
    Or they could just Cancel Sky.:) Nothing more required.

For very basic multiroom, take 3 feeds from the RF out going to the separate rooms,

For better individually served multiroom, replace lnb with a quad lnb, buy 3 more FTA receivers, connect each receiver to output from lnb.
    No subscription required.

Advertisement