Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titleist Pro Vs best price around?

Options
  • 18-08-2008 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Anyone know what the best price is for Pro Vs either online or in golf shops. Sick of paying 50 euro for a dozen. Its a great ball..the best I reckon. Or is there a better one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

In Elverys they are doing refinished pro v's - 24 for €50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

You'll get boxes of 12 on ebay for 28-30 pounds sterling. Probably another £3-5 in postage. That's not a huge saving on 50 euro but as good as i've ever found. The cheapest i've seen them in an online shop is £29 sterling. Then you have £10 postage though so not worth your while.

50 euro is about as good as you'll get them for.

There's no true substitute for the Prov in my opinion, there are few other kinds - taylor made, callaway etc - but none of them are quite as good. For a few euro extra i'd rather have the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I think American Golf do refinished ProVs, a dozen for €12.99... I stand to be corrected but definitely around the €15 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Anyone know what the best price is for Pro Vs either online or in golf shops. Sick of paying 50 euro for a dozen. Its a great ball..the best I reckon. Or is there a better one?

As I said in another thread man American golf were doing them for €42, according to a buddy of mine, I rather use the NXT tour, little harder but I find them good around the greens too. Then again a few of my buddies swear by the new Callaway Xi tour.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I use the taylormade tp black and I like the fact that it's different to most people as almost everyone uses the Titleist ball. I used it too before and can't tell much difference since I switched. The previous version of the taylormade used to mark more easily than the current one. Still a similar price (50/dozen)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Swinging Looney

I use the NXT Tour also. I found very little difference between these and the Pro-V. I also much prefer standing over a brand new, shiny white, unused golf ball than the slightly off white refinished Pro-V's. While I'm sure some places have decent quality control, can you really be sure your refinished ball is still perfectly round, properly weighted, and that the refinished cover is going to give you the same control and reaction as the original Titleist factory one?

NXT Tour usually run about 33 euro a dozen at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

The cost price to a standard retailer for a dozen Pro Vs is €46.49 so anyone selling below that is losing money!

The pro I use for lessons told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mickyt

if your every going to America. there very cheap over there. I am heading in 2 weeks and usually pick a dozen up for 43 dollars. in New York, but heading west coast so not sure if there is a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Woodgate

slumped wrote: »
    The cost price to a standard retailer for a dozen Pro Vs is €46.49 so anyone selling below that is losing money!

The pro I use for lessons told me.

I'd find that very hard to believe. No retailer would work on those margins, as they are selling them at €45 - €60 depending where you buy.

By the way Mitchell's Golf Shop in Waterford has them for €45 a dozen for at least 4 weeks now. Great value.

Woodgate wrote: »
    I'd find that very hard to believe. No retailer would work on those margins, as they are selling them at €45 - €60 depending where you buy.

Golf Balls are like loss leaders in most shops. Margins are not that great on most items. Clothing is where the money is made nowadays in big shops.

Losing a fiver on a box of balls, when someone is spending 200 euro on a wet suit is not the end of the world.

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Woodgate wrote: »

By the way Mitchell's Golf Shop in Waterford has them for €45 a dozen for at least 4 weeks now. Great value.
    Well it's true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

fullstop wrote: »
    Well it's true

Seems to be true, I get a 10% discount in Mc Guirks, I was told the discount couldn't
    be applied to Pro V1's as they make so little, that they would be making a loss on them if they applied the dicount. I thought they were just being mean but they gave me 10% off about €350 worth of wet gear and on clubs before without batting an eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

Yeah, America is the best value if you can get over there. I was over there last month and I got a box of Pro V1's, a box of Taylormade TP black and a box of Callaway Xi's for $140 which was around €90 when you change it over. Now all i need is the weather to get out and hit the bloody things!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭waterville72

neckedit wrote: »
    As I said in another thread man American golf were doing them for €42, according to a buddy of mine, I rather use the NXT tour, little harder but I find them good around the greens too. Then again a few of my buddies swear by the new Callaway Xi tour.

Rang American Golf today. Youre right neckedit...42.99 per dozen and thay have them in stock. Best price I've heard so far. I asked if they were below cost as stated above cost and the guy laughed and said no they werent. Seemingly they have 70+ shops in UK and he said it was all about buying power which makes sense.
    But to be honest who cares if they are. It sounds like value to me. Couldnt put the NXT ahead of the Pro V ... the most impressive thing about the Pro V is the durability I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I like the Pro-V myself, my brother got a dozen of those reconditioned yokes a few weeks ago (he was in a hurry and they'd no real ones), and they were muck, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
    Looked like they were painted with tipp-ex, you could see the old Titleist logo under the paint and all, felt ****e too.
    Up to you I suppose.
    BTW Halpennys Swords and any McGuirks always do Pro-v's and Pro-V1X's for €45 a dozen.Think they're usually priced at €50 but just give them the oul "what's the best you can do?" line and Bob's your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

lads I really wonder how much of a difference a new pro v makes versus a new nike for example or a new srixon? My buddy who plays off 2 told me that iit dont make a blind bit of difference except a few people are following te lead of some pro's who use them as their preferred ball. not all pro's use them however so that just shows it makes very little difference

Spin rate is key for any golf ball.

Have a look at this:

http://www.golfjoy.com/golf_physics/dynamics.asp

A Pro V will travel further than an Ultra for example.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Thanks Slumped. That's a useful site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

slingerz wrote: »
    lads I really wonder how much of a difference a new pro v makes versus a new nike for example or a new srixon? My buddy who plays off 2 told me that iit dont make a blind bit of difference except a few people are following te lead of some pro's who use them as their preferred ball. not all pro's use them however so that just shows it makes very little difference

It all comes down to preference i suppose. The most important thing is that you play with the same type of ball all the time. If you do that then you will know exactly how the ball is going to react whenever you hit a particular type of shot. You then learn to trust the ball and your swing and in theory at least that should lead to better golf shots.

I've had a bash with pretty much all the top balls and my favourite by a mile is the Pro V1. I'd rather pay a few quid extra for something that i really like than something that i just think is ok.

Advertisement