Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Town Floods - 18/08/08

Options
  • 18-08-2008 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

roadflooded.jpg

Barrow.jpg
    A fair swell on the Barrow, which led to.....

townpark.jpg
    ....a soggy town park.

wherestheriver.jpg
    Which side is the river on?

bridge.jpg

Kennedystreet.jpg
    Walking the plank!

bytheriver.jpg

maryboroughstreet.jpg

sleattystreet.jpg

At least someone made the most of it....
    swans.jpg

Alas, never fear, seems the vacuum from the Teletubbies has come to our aid! :p :pac:
    pumps.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Good pics.

Some clean up to be done there, rain has just been mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

Good Pics Croppy. Like the Noo Noo!

Kilkenny City was spared the worst of it. The expensive flood relief scheme is doing its job.

Looks like Carlow needs something similar. I heard Gormley was down there today. What with a green party TD here now, they should be able to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Do you have mosquitoes in Ireland? I was there once upon a time and I don't recall seeing any, but that could have been on account of the force eight gale that was blowing much of the time.

If you do, then you'll have a nasty crop of those in about a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Holy crap :eek: That was some bad flooding!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No, we don't get mosquitos here. Plenty of spots I recognise there from living in Carlow in my college days :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Guys it was like that earlier this year while i was in college (i lived in an apartment over the river) anyway it was like that and there was no big hype made about it!

Ive pics on my phone and all from it! Unless the do something about it it wont change!

:rolleyes:

Stephen wrote: »
    No, we don't get mosquitos here. Plenty of spots I recognise there from living in Carlow in my college days :eek:
    Yes we do get mosquito's in Ireland.I'm sure mothman will detail.Most people can't tell the difference between them and flies though.
    They are here and they bite.

Top quality stuff croppy by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Cheers guys! :)

As for the mosquitos, yup we do have them, even in Carlow :p. Lots of people who have visited the forest walks in Oak Park have been bitten by mosquitos, in fact at one stage people were warned not to go as there was so many of them!

True Jemmy, it was pretty similar earlier in the year and there wasnt much about it. I've lived here for all of my 24 years (:p) and in that short period I have seen the floods a LOT worse, and it was the norm, people just accepted it was almost an annual event and got on with it. No matter what you do you cant prevent flooding, its gonna have to spill out somewhere, if not here, then further down the line.

Here's a vid of the natural disaster that was the 'Great flood of 2008!!' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Nice pictures croppyboy, I especially like the forth and fifth ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

well the swans are enjoyin it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

cool vid croppyboy

Advertisement