Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on the rules

Options
  • 18-08-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

I was out playing disc golf with a friend on a home made course (using bales:D) and we came across a dispute in the rules. . .
    Can you change frisbee during a hole i.e. a heavy frisbee for the long ones and a lighter one for the short ones?

P.s. A plastic hoarse shoe makes a great frisbee:pac::pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Phat Chance

I'm not up on the disc golf rules as much as the Ultimate ones, but to me it would seem not. Do golfers change balls in the middle of a hole? I'd be inclined to go with that answer, whatever it may be (cause I know shag all about normal golf too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Yes you can.

There are many different types of proper disc-golf discs. Some are drivers, some putters some rollers etc etc.

Just like in normal golf when you would choose to use a 9 iron instead of a 5 wood for a shot.

If you ever see serious players (saw one guy in the states once who was amazing) they'd have a bag full of different discs to suit every type of throw they need.

But when you're in a park with your mates it might be a different story but i would say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Volvagia wrote: »
    Yes you can.

There are many different types of proper disc-golf discs. Some are drivers, some putters some rollers etc etc.

Just like in normal golf when you would choose to use a 9 iron instead of a 5 wood for a shot.

If you ever see serious players (saw one guy in the states once who was amazing) they'd have a bag full of different discs to suit every type of throw they need.

But when you're in a park with your mates it might be a different story but i would say yes.

Ok thanks, how could the putters be more accurate? Would they be lighter? If they were lighter they would be picked up by the wind easier surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I didn't know myself how exactly they were different but i found this on wikipedia;

"There are a wide variety of discs, divided into three basic categories: putters, mid-range discs, and drivers.

The putters are designed similar to discs you would play catch with: e.g., a Wham-o brand Frisbee. They are designed to fly straight, predictably, and very slowly compared to mid-range discs and drivers. Mid-range discs have slightly sharper edges, which enable them to cut through the air better. Drivers have the sharpest edge and have most of their mass concentrated on the outer rim of the disc rather than distributed equally throughout. Drivers are the hardest types of discs to learn how to throw; their flight path will be very unpredictable without practice."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Volvagia wrote: »
    I didn't know myself how exactly they were different but i found this on wikipedia;

"There are a wide variety of discs, divided into three basic categories: putters, mid-range discs, and drivers.

The putters are designed similar to discs you would play catch with: e.g., a Wham-o brand Frisbee. They are designed to fly straight, predictably, and very slowly compared to mid-range discs and drivers. Mid-range discs have slightly sharper edges, which enable them to cut through the air better. Drivers have the sharpest edge and have most of their mass concentrated on the outer rim of the disc rather than distributed equally throughout. Drivers are the hardest types of discs to learn how to throw; their flight path will be very unpredictable without practice."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf

Hope that helps.

Yup, that does make sense.
    What kind of distance would the drivers get?

• Advertisement
Advertisement