Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with a few channels

Options
  • 18-08-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if you could shed some light on a problem. I have an old Panasonic Sky box and I cannot receive some of the Channel 4 channels.

I cannot get Channel 4 but I can get Channel 4 +1. Likewise with Film 4
    However I can get More 4 but not More 4 +1.

Message I am getting on screen flicks from "technical problem" (stays up for a second) to "No signal being received"

The rest of the channels are fine, as in I can get them, but sometimes with a crackle in the picture and the sound.

This has been the case for the last couple of weeks(started before the first rain storm on the saturday). I have been on to Sky and after going through the usual checks and fixes they reckon I need a call out to check what is going on.

Is it possible just to lose 3 or 4 channels like this? And is there anything I can do myself to overcome the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

it really looks like your dish moved slightly. I think you will need to check your dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Cheers FF. Due to me lack of knowledge I would have presumed that this would mean no channels would be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Different channels (transponders) use different power levels so you may not necessarily lose all at the same time. Its also possible you have an lnb or cable problem but as my friend says the dish alignment would be the first thing to check.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

there is nothing wrong with the alignment of your dish this channel is breaking up a lot lately. I would imagine it has something to do with the CH4 cutting its ties with Sky and shifting to FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Your making this up right ? :)

steveon wrote: »
    there is nothing wrong with the alignment of your dish this channel is breaking up a lot lately. I would imagine it has something to do with the CH4 cutting its ties with Sky and shifting to FTA.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

lol, ohh good one :D

Anyway, i still think its dish issue since he's also experiencing problems with Film4
    Now the best test for me (to check my dish) appart from signal strength is to switch over to movies4men 2 . If you have problems receiving this channel , picture/sound breaking up then you have dish alignment problem.

movies4men 2 has notoriously weak signal so if you get this perfect then everything else will be fine! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

CH4 changed transponders and some Digiboxes require a "reboot" before they will repopulate the EPG correctly. Yours may be one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

i too had lost channel 4 maybe do a manual scan just to check 10714 H, 22000 FEC 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

steveon wrote: »

You do realise that Sky do not control the satellites?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I am aware sky dont control the astra and eurobird satellites. As I said if you read clearly is that I would doubt it is an alignment issue as you can type in the freq manually and view the channels and in the past week I have attempted to realign a few dishes experiencing this problem to no avail as the dishes are peaked and breaking up...so hence why I figured it may be that channel 4 are moving transponders in the near future...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The TP (10714, H) to which the FTA C4 channels have been moved is currently one of the weaker ones on Astra 2D. e.g. 7.5 dB for 10714 vs 9.0 dB for the BBC Channels on 10773.

10714 is also smack bang in the region for cordless and mobile phone interference.

2261611382_0dfa73d5e5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I was going to suggest could be a cordless/cell phone or even wifi causing interference if its just a few channels. Failing that could be the tuner itself gone up the swany. The old Amstrads had this problem of the tuner going and not being able to pick up all the transponders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Thanks for all the tips. I will retry the manual tuning of C4 to see if I can get it to work, as well as checking movies4men 2.

Failing this I will need to get up and take a look at the dish itself to see I can get the signal strength back up

Edit: Tried to add C4 using the Services menu and when i clicked on Find Channels it came up with no signal being received. Checked movies4men2 and it is coming in clear. I unplugged the cordless phone and router but it made no difference to C4.

Process of elimination points to the dish being slightly out :(

Advertisement