Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs for parking a .ie domain

Options
  • 18-08-2008 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi,

Why is it much more expensive to park a .ie domain than all other popular TDL's (including .co.uk).

One Irish hosting company is charging 49.85, compared with 9.99 for a .com. The registration charges come down if you go with their hosting offering.

I want to register a .ie domain, but I'm not ready to have it hosted yet.

Alternatively, what is the cheapest registration/hosting package available on the market. I might just take the hit and register/host for the first year with a parking page.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Alternatively, what is the cheapest registration/hosting package available on the market. I might just take the hit and register/host for the first year with a parking page.
    Read the charter and stickies please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jomag45

Yep, I should have checked the stickies first. Thanks for the pointer.

However, can I ask the general question:

Why is a .ie domain is treated differently from a .co.uk one? Is there more work for a web host in registration? or are these charges determined by the IEDR?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

For .ie domains, you have to demonstrate a legitimate entitlement to the domain. A registered business name that has a reasonable association with the domain name you are looking for generally is sufficient.

Therefore, there's a validation process that involves a human being reviewing the application and approving/or denying it - therefore a cost.

The end result is that you can trust a .ie domain to be who they say there are more than you can a dot com.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could register a .com to Mickey Mouse with an address in Smallville.

You wouldn't be able to do that as easily with a .ie domain

The cost of .ie has dropped quite a bit over the last few years as the registry improves the level of automation, but it's still a very manual process

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

blacknight wrote: »
    You could register a .com to Mickey Mouse with an address in Smallville.

You wouldn't be able to do that as easily with a .ie domain

in fairness its actually quite easily done. there are quite a few domain names I've come across where the registrant clearly has no valid claim whatsoever to the domain name

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »
    in fairness its actually quite easily done. there are quite a few domain names I've come across where the registrant clearly has no valid claim whatsoever to the domain name

Compared to registering a .com?

Even the high profile squatting of bebo.ie was done by known people ie. they couldn't hide who they actually were

true but the point I was making was that it is just as easy to squat an .ie as it is a .com address

miju wrote: »
    true but the point I was making was that it is just as easy to squat an .ie as it is a .com address

Err no.

To "squat" an IE domain you'd have to do a lot more work. Try it :)

don't have to theres 3 domains I know of where the person / "company" has been squatting on them all for the last 2 years. given they are all due to expire next week I'll not reveal them.

If the domains are renewed (or indeed if I manage to finally get them) I'll post back here in a couple of weeks to clearly demonstrate the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Under what category have they got the domains? I.e. have they an entitlement to them by definition (and therefore are not squatting) or are they sitting on generic or "discretionary" names? If it's the latter, I'm sure the IEDR would take a very dim view on that.

• Advertisement

they are sitting on generic / discretionary names (that they wouldnt even have the remotest claim to anyways). dont know how long they have been doing it though. Only know I've been watcing these domains for the last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

To answer the OP, most IE resellers won't charge you anything more for the domain whether you buy hosting or not.

Some even provide free domain parking, frame forwarding as standard. Worth having a look around.

I personally wouldn't pay more than 30 euro a year for a .ie. Maybe next year the price might be sub 20 euro!

One thing to note, the .ie name space is a managed cctld, hence the cost. As the registry gets more domains, then the price per domain cost to them comes down. They have little to do every year to get the renewal fees for 100k odd domains, it's only new domains that they have their work cut out for them.

Advertisement