Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carlow floods

Options
  • 18-08-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭

back to the days of ben ferried across the barrow by tractor is it?

i went for a spin down the graigue way last night, it was just mad, pity i didn't have my camera with me though

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0818/floods.html

Carlow town is at the centre of a flood alert tonight.

Rising waters from the River Barrow is causing severe problems and over 100 people had to be evacuated from a four-storey apartment block on Centaur Street. Kennedy Street is also closed due to flooding.

Further heavy rain is predicted overnight and for tomorrow morning across much of the country.

The Civil Defence says it is monitoring two other apartment blocks and will evacuate them if waters rise further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Graigue bridge and all roads leading to it are closed. I work in Graigue, and for a brief second this morning as I turned away from road closed signs, I thought, maybe we wont have to work today!

I went down by the haymarket and the flooding is pretty bad there, the worst I have seen for years.

Leighlinbridge had some flooding also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

More rain to come this evening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Pffft........'tis nothing, I've seen worse, even in my young age :p

I live in Graigue, the end of my street is flooded, but I remember a time when the water would be a lot further up the street, that was the norm. Seems the drainage work they did on the barrow a few years back sorted out some of the problems.

Ah, the days of being ferried back and forth across the water at Clelands on a tractor trailer, can they still do that now with 'health and safety' and all? :rolleyes:

Little feckers down here in Graigue cant leave the planking alone, the council have had to come down a couple of times to put the planking back, the younsters keep throwing them into the water. Christ, you'd think they never seen water before, I wonder if they realise just what is in that water :D, well, I wont tell them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Villain wrote: »
    More rain to come this evening!!

Really you must have the inside scoop :P

you must work in met - eireann right??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Met?? Pfft they know nothing I go straight to the top, actually I think thats God on the phone now ......

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    The Met?? Pfft they know nothing I go straight to the top, actually I think thats God on the phone now ......

As him what next week will be like, i'm on hollers.

Seriously though the flooding around is horrid, i got some pics on the way to work this morning and it is mad...The carlow to kilkenny road looking at the barrow it is extremely flooded...leighlinbridge has suffered too and the flow is rapid on the barrow..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Does anybody know if the town hall car park is flooded?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Town hall car park is clear. You can only get in the one entrance at the top, the one near the barrow is flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

davidoco wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the town hall car park is flooded?

Just been out for a walk to have a look see. Town hall car park is clear alright, if you hurry you might get on the news, there was an RTE van parked up at the entrance about 30mins back :p

EDIT: Anyone catch Carlow on the news? The floods here made the headlines, apparently we are the worst effected county! Whats this too about a wall they are building to stop further floods? Ermm, wont that just cause problems further down the line?

roadflooded.jpg

Barrow.jpg

townpark.jpg

wherestheriver.jpg

bridge.jpg

Kennedystreet.jpg

bytheriver.jpg

maryboroughstreet.jpg

sleattystreet.jpg

At least someone made the most of it....
    swans.jpg

Alas, never fear, seems the vacuum from the Teletubbies has come to our aid! :p :pac:
    pumps.jpg

Just been out for a walk to have a look see. Town hall car park is clear alright, if you hurry you might get on the news, there was an RTE van parked up at the entrance about 30mins back :p

EDIT: Anyone catch Carlow on the news? The floods here made the headlines, apparently we are the worst effected county! Whats this too about a wall they are building to stop further floods? Ermm, wont that just cause problems further down the line?

didn't they propose building a wall before by the side of the river? If i recall correctly they did and it was met with opposition because it would take the scenic look off the river and apparently affect tourism prospects of the barrow.

Maybe i'm wrong thought i don't know for sure but i thought i heard that before.

I think the planning authorities in carlow have serious things to answer for considering they granted planning to the new flats in centaur street and castle hill where these areas were notorious for flooding on normal rainy seasons.

And now aren't they planning to build new council/government offices where the old travellers far was held down by the river? Government offices at that. So if they really don't care about the possibility of having their own premises destroyed what hope have ill-informed house buyers new to carlow town got? They won't know where they are buying may be vulnerable to flooding.

• Advertisement

Those pics are really good thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

stick-dan wrote: »
    Those pics are really good thanks man.

I can't see my house though! Shame on you! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

deep enough anyway.. i may go have a look tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

went down to look yesterday evening and i couldn't keep my kids out of the floods. my 7 & 3 year old spent 20 mins jumping in floods outside the steak house, much to the annoyance of the swans.

so swans and my kids benefited;)

did much rain fall last night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

seemed to be a bit less than previous nights the rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

think the spanish students are loving walking the planks...

As for the sign Town Park? I think i should print that one out large and send it to ever member of the county council...

And for the poor people been taken from the apartment by the rescue team, can you all see the guy in the boat with the camcorder??? mad or what..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

lotdpd wrote: »
    think the spanish students are loving walking the planks...

ah the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Hi...

I'm due to move into Centaur House apartments next week.... (1st floor apartment!) Obvioulsy this is THE apartment block was flooded and ppl were rescued from... Anyone here know anymore about it? Are the bottom floor apartment destroyed? Was the whole graound floor totally flooded? I presume ppl have moved back in now? What happened to those was had to be evacuated???? (I'd have nowhere else to stay!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Fair play to Pat Jones, he got in the irish times today about the floods.

'47 got mentioned too (my father is always blabbering on about this when floods are mentioned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

xeroshero wrote: »
    Hi...

I'm due to move into Centaur House apartments next week.... (1st floor apartment!) Obvioulsy this is THE apartment block was flooded and ppl were rescued from... Anyone here know anymore about it? Are the bottom floor apartment destroyed? Was the whole graound floor totally flooded? I presume ppl have moved back in now? What happened to those was had to be evacuated???? (I'd have nowhere else to stay!)

These 3 paragraphs from an article in today's Times should gove you an idea...

Most apartment residents were able to return on Tuesday or Wednesday when power was restored. However, for the landlords and tenants of the three street-level apartments in Centaur Court, it looked like the end of the line. Even to an untutored eye, the apartments, with their desirable riverside location and proximity to the park and playground, look significantly lower than the river. A young mother and her eight-month-old baby had fled, leaving behind a neatly kept home and an array of toys abandoned on squishy, contaminated carpets.

Her landlord, a north Kildare man, paces up and down surveying the damage, bristling with frustration. Having paid €141,000 for the apartment four years ago - and, at one stage, having had an offer of €206,000 withdrawn - he is now asking €170,000, none too optimistically. "This is the second time this year . . . I'd say it'll cost €60,000-70,000 to put right. You couldn't give it away now and I have a tenant who won't come back and who could blame her?," he says, eyeing the two internal concrete steps, which were intended to raise the ground floor above historic flood levels when planning permission was granted in 2002. "This was a Section 23 development in a fairly tough, derelict area. But I was told nothing about floods . . . I'm going to look at the planning application and talk to a senior counsel. It looks to me like there should have been four steps there, not two."

THE 30-SOMETHING landlord next door, a Dubliner, is equally incredulous. His three tenants have also fled and he has been putting them up at a cost of €180 a night since Sunday. The apartment had been flooded several times but this, he says, was the worst, with raw sewage seeping under the floors. "The river is gone five feet over my front door. Even if I were to put in floodgates, the water would be half way up the windows." A request to the council to put in a flood door evoked a frosty response. Although he got an insurance payment to cover the January damage, he regrets that he failed to engage a loss adjustor. "What I'm hearing now is the possibility of hidden damage - rotting of plasterboards, of floor boards, water seeping beyond the concrete floor, all the partition walls having to come up." He put the apartment on the market in January, hoping to recoup at least the €185,000 he paid for it in 2003. "There hasn't been a single enquiry, not one. They're worth nothing now. No one could get a mortgage on it. I'd never be able to rent it again because I'm not going to be able to get insurance on it. I just don't know what to do. I'm obviously going to have to pay the mortgage. It seems now that everybody in the area knew these apartments were going to be flooded . . . I got onto a solicitor and it seems the only chance now is for people to make a claim against the council."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

testicle wrote: »
    These 3 paragraphs from an article in today's Times should gove you an idea...

Most apartment residents were able to return on Tuesday or Wednesday when power was restored. However, for the landlords and tenants of the three street-level apartments in Centaur Court, it looked like the end of the line. Even to an untutored eye, the apartments, with their desirable riverside location and proximity to the park and playground, look significantly lower than the river. A young mother and her eight-month-old baby had fled, leaving behind a neatly kept home and an array of toys abandoned on squishy, contaminated carpets.

Her landlord, a north Kildare man, paces up and down surveying the damage, bristling with frustration. Having paid €141,000 for the apartment four years ago - and, at one stage, having had an offer of €206,000 withdrawn - he is now asking €170,000, none too optimistically. "This is the second time this year . . . I'd say it'll cost €60,000-70,000 to put right. You couldn't give it away now and I have a tenant who won't come back and who could blame her?," he says, eyeing the two internal concrete steps, which were intended to raise the ground floor above historic flood levels when planning permission was granted in 2002. "This was a Section 23 development in a fairly tough, derelict area. But I was told nothing about floods . . . I'm going to look at the planning application and talk to a senior counsel. It looks to me like there should have been four steps there, not two."

THE 30-SOMETHING landlord next door, a Dubliner, is equally incredulous. His three tenants have also fled and he has been putting them up at a cost of €180 a night since Sunday. The apartment had been flooded several times but this, he says, was the worst, with raw sewage seeping under the floors. "The river is gone five feet over my front door. Even if I were to put in floodgates, the water would be half way up the windows." A request to the council to put in a flood door evoked a frosty response. Although he got an insurance payment to cover the January damage, he regrets that he failed to engage a loss adjustor. "What I'm hearing now is the possibility of hidden damage - rotting of plasterboards, of floor boards, water seeping beyond the concrete floor, all the partition walls having to come up." He put the apartment on the market in January, hoping to recoup at least the €185,000 he paid for it in 2003. "There hasn't been a single enquiry, not one. They're worth nothing now. No one could get a mortgage on it. I'd never be able to rent it again because I'm not going to be able to get insurance on it. I just don't know what to do. I'm obviously going to have to pay the mortgage. It seems now that everybody in the area knew these apartments were going to be flooded . . . I got onto a solicitor and it seems the only chance now is for people to make a claim against the council."
    everybody knows the barrow floods every year and also if your buying any property beside such a large river you enquire about the risk or possibility of flooding!

and oh my god i never realisied the poor people down the bottom of the town had it so bad! we can organise food parcels etc if required:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

We will surely see a return of the floods? Pretty heavy rain, non stop since early morning at least.

Quick everyone to my house i have an ark!!

Advertisement