Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem upgrading memory on inspiron 6400

Options
  • 18-08-2008 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

I am having trouble with the installation of upgrade memory. I used to have 2 x 512 MB RAM modules that worked in DIMM slot A and B. I ordered two SO_DIMM modules of two 2G each. However, I can only get one of them to be recognised seated in DIMM slot A, which results in 2 G of memory in the BIOS. (most recent version A17).

Each of the 2 GB modules is recognised in DIMM slot A - ONLY. All attempts to get the memory modules to be recognised in DIMM slot B have failed.

My attempts of going back to the original configuration of 2 x 512 MB memory modules also did not succeed as the 512 MB module that was seated in slot B is not recognised anylonger.

The fact that the orignal memory is also not accepted in slot B combined with the fact that the new memory modules are being recognised in slot A makes me wonder if there is a particular procedure/sequence in which the DIMM banks need to be populated.

Anybody has any experience with this particular Dell laptop and this problem?

Comments

Advertisement