Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiral Ramp in Dublin Airport

Options
  • 17-08-2008 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Hello All,

I have googled and googled for information on a piece of architecture in Dublin Airport to no avail.

Can you somebody please either fully explain what it is or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Athcliath-airport.jpg

Its just left of the terminal as you look at it and the first thing you see arriving to departures. It appears to be a ramp one would drive up to enter a car park but it appears only to lead to just below the roof.

What is it?

Thanks,

Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Rainy Day

You're right it leads to a staff car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What? inside the building?

Imagine the security implications of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When the terminal was constructed in the early 1970s, it was designed to have a multi-storey car park on the roof. At the same time the troubles got worse in northern Ireland and the authorities were fearful that Loyalist terrorists would place a massive car bomb there and bring down the whole terminal. Hence it was never used.

Rainy Day wrote: »
    You're right it leads to a staff car park.
    I don't think any staff park there. There are two staff surface car parks.

I would say its used as some type of storage area as on Google earth there appears to be some yellow vehicles either parked or heading up/down the ramp.

If its still the 70's look and not changed then I would love to see it. Its just weird thinking there is something there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

its used to queue taxis

I would say its used as some type of storage area as on Google earth there appears to be some yellow vehicles either parked or heading up/down the ramp.

If its still the 70's look and not changed then I would love to see it. Its just weird thinking there is something there.
    Yes it seems to be used by some DAA vehicles. It's possible to walk over to it (or at least it used to be). The surface of the ramps are very under-used looking.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    its used to queue taxis
    I don't think you are familiar with what we are referring to!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have this vague memory as a child watching planes from my father's car on a roof. Are you sure it was never used?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I don't think you are familiar with what we are referring to!

I am fully aware of what you are talking about. :rolleyes:

During peak times they use the spiral ramp to queue taxis of which there can be a huge number. Otherwise they would have to queue on the access ramp and out to the roundabout. It is a holding area that allows a constant stream of taxis to the ranks, without causing traffic mayhem.

It was originally designed to access a car park but as mentioned was decommissioned due to the troubles.

• Advertisement

Edited, forgot to quote person reffering to being a child visiting airport.

deffo not on the roof, or as far as I would say. The roof seems to be filled with the usual air con, venting, heating ducts etc. I would presume you would not be able to be on the roof in a car or otherwise.

Im in Dublin Airport to catch a flight on Wed(hence why it jogged my memory)

I will try to dress in my least geeky clothing and ask a staff member if I get the chance. I get the most contact with those pink polo shirt people but as they hardly know their arse from their elbow I will try to suss out an older member of staff.

During peak times they use the spiral ramp to queue taxis of which there can be a huge number. Otherwise they would have to queue on the access ramp and out to the roundabout. It is a holding area that allows a constant stream of taxis to the ranks, without causing traffic mayhem
    The taxi holding area (the 'kesh') is down near the Great Southern Hotel (or whatever it's new name is) When the taxi holding area is full, the queue waiting to go into the taxi holding area goes around the staff surface car park at the rear of the hotel.

The taxi co-ordinator decides when taxis should be released from the holding area (to prevent a build-up at the arrivals road).

The blue dots in the image represent the taxi queue (although in this image it's relatively short).

TaxiQueue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Funny, I also have a very vague memory of using the spiral at some stage; think I would have been about four of five so it would have been 1982-1993.
    That said I have two uncles who used to work in the airport, so they may well have brought me in, must ask my dad:confused:

Just wondering how easy it would be to walk up and bluff in.

FYI, I have sent an email to the media centre of Dublin Airport and can only hope that they can find the time to reply.

I suppose its like the new bridge over the blackwater in Fermoy is hollow and you can by right walk from end to the other inside. Its just over 1km long. In 50 years people may well be asking the same questions, i.e whats that door for on either side? Why is it hollow? ( I was one of the Engineers btw)

Gillo wrote: »

Just wondering how easy it would be to walk up and bluff in.

Judging by the photo, I dont think it would be possible with the gate unless there is a pedestrian access.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1956489

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Gillo wrote: »
    Funny, I also have a very vague memory of using the spiral at some stage; think I would have been about four of five so it would have been 1982-1993.
    Me too...but it would have been circa 1974/1975.

The ramp certainly wouldn't have been used for public access from the 80's onward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

The spiral ramp in question is not used for queueing taxis.

It is indeed used as access to a staff car park. I have been in this car park and have come down this ramp when I worked in Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Indeed, staff car parks on level 4 and 5 of T1. Still in use in the late 1990s although there were being gradually being built over, particularity level 5 which has a lovely roof top garden and some nice meeting rooms.

Many a night spent on level 4 asleep in on the manky sofa in the trolley break room when on nights.

During peak times they use the spiral ramp to queue taxis of which there can be a huge number. Otherwise they would have to queue on the access ramp and out to the roundabout. It is a holding area that allows a constant stream of taxis to the ranks, without causing traffic mayhem.

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Many a night spent on level 4 asleep in on the manky sofa in the trolley break room when on nights.

Snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

the ramp is actually still used as far as I know by DAA staff

Levels 2 and 4 were for retail if I can remember that far there is a security lad at the bottom of the ramp but we used to sneek in that way if we forgot our passes and up the stores lift.

swordsinfo wrote: »
    the ramp is actually still used as far as I know by DAA staff

Levels 2 and 4 were for retail if I can remember that far there is a security lad at the bottom of the ramp but we used to sneek in that way if we forgot our passes and up the stores lift.

Level 1 = arrivals (public) - no ramp access
    Level 2 = departures (public) - no ramp access
    Level 3 = mezz & offices (public & private) - no ramp access

Level 4 = old car park, break rooms, meeting rooms, trolley and duty free break rooms (private)
    Level 5 = old car park, break rooms, meeting rooms (private)

Access to 4 & 5 can be seen from this image. One spiral is for up, one is for down. Spirals don't connect to 1, 2 or 3.
    http://googlesightseeing.com/wp-content/DSC00170.jpg

Added to that too levels under arrivals both referred to as basements, used for stores (no hidden train station there despite the rumors) place was infected with rats. Accessible from the back of the spiral ramps.

The staff lift on departures always gave access to 4 & 5 without needing a swipe. Staff policed it themselves by turfing out any non Aer Rianta (DAA) or related staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Level 1 = arrivals (public) - no ramp access
    Level 2 = departures (public) - no ramp access
    Level 3 = mezz & offices (public & private) - no ramp access

Level 4 = old car park, break rooms, meeting rooms, trolley and duty free break rooms (private)
    Level 5 = old car park, break rooms, meeting rooms (private)

Access to 4 & 5 can be seen from this image. One spiral is for up, one is for down.
    http://googlesightseeing.com/wp-content/DSC00170.jpg

Added to that too levels under arrivals both referred to as basements, used for stores (no hidden trains station there despite the rumors) place with infected with rats. Accessible from the back of the spiral ramps.

The staff lift on departures always gave access to 4 & 5 without needing a swipe. Staff policed it themselves by turfing out any non Aer Rianta (DAA) or related staff.

I was told that the train station was suppossed to be the large stores room at the back of the Thomas Read Stores ... They just use the room as stores now though...

Having been down there, through the various dark rooms they all just resembled large storage cavities but then who is to say what a blank train station looks like. There was certainly nothing layed out like a train station. Also never came across any doors locked or space which appeared to be missing from the layout of the upper building. This is 100s of lazy walks around there over the space of 4 years.

It was a duty free heaven down there with the amount of booze and fags in storage. Pity because of the dark nature down there, coupled with it being used to store rubbish it attracted the aforementioned vermin which also used to have a field day in the old Burger King in arrivals.

Lots of good information there.

I also forwarded my questions to the info desk as well as the media centre.

Nobody has of yet replied which is not surprising at all. I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Take it from those of us that work or used to work there - the ramps are NOT used to queue taxis. They provide staff access (and as regards bluffing, there's constant security now, so not a hope) to the top levels is all. One spiral has been completely decomissioned too.

Tbh I'd envisage this being phased out soon, the security implications will be looked at I'm sure. Only a few staff are allowed park up there and most of it is now partitioned off into break rooms.
    Indeed, staff car parks on level 4 and 5 of T1. Still in use in the late 1990s although there were being gradually being built over, particularity level 5 which has a lovely roof top garden and some nice meeting rooms.

Snap!

And snap again :P

When were you two there? I'm guessing back in the Aer Rianta days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

spurious wrote: »
    I have this vague memory as a child watching planes from my father's car on a roof. Are you sure it was never used?

I also have a recollection as a child of been in it as a car park with my father it probably would have been early to mid 70's

Stands out in my mind because of the slope and the curved walls.

The plot thickens.

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    When were you two there? I'm guessing back in the Aer Rianta days?
    Aer Rianta days indeed, early/mid to late/mid 1990s. God there were some characters working up there. Some of the old school still work around there, I've seen some gardening, some still in operations, one at least is a TSO. Ah good times, better nights.
    dingding wrote: »
    The plot thickens.
    What plot? There is none, it's all been explained.

• Advertisement

Interesting that Bluefoam hasn't posted back.

Advertisement