Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fellow workers getting paid for nothing

Options
  • 17-08-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Hi, well it is approaching the end of my contract (the 7th September) and we've just heard the news that the company is closing down. I enjoy my work and wanted to extend my contract so this news is unfortunate. Anyway, they decided that the last working date for everyone will be the 7th of september. People whose contracts which run to the end of september will be reimbursed 2 weeks after the 7th. Of course, i get nothing because my new end date is when my original contract ends anyway :( I was pissed off when i heard this because the extra payment would have been nice while looking for a job. Anyway, i got over it easily as i can't really do anything about it. Then i get worse news. There are others whose contracts the same date as mine but are been let go at the end of this week because they have no work for them but they are been paid up until the 7th of september. I am raging :eek::(:mad:

I realise that they have to give them something but this means i have to work while they have 2 weeks off looking for a job and we get the same money. I have been told that they decided to keep on the staff that were good at their jobs and would complete the work to a higher standard. If this is the case, i feel it is very unfair that i have to work while others leave and get paid. I will be unemployed from the 7th and need to go to interviews etc.

I am just unhappy about this and needed to vent. There is probably nothing i can do. I sent a very angry email to HR and they didn't reply. Perhaps i will get something but i very much doubt it because my contract was to end on the 7th anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think rather than you being treated badly (you're being treated completely fairly and correctly) the others have been extremely lucky.

Ah well, that's life!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yeah, very unfair:( What's worse, i hear the others complaining about having to come into work when there is nothing for them to do. I feel like slapping them everytime they moan. Some come in about 12 and leave at 4. I am disgusted. Anyway, nothing can be done. Another angry email will be sent though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I wouldn't send anymore e-mails. What's happening with the other employee's has nothing to do with you. You should remain professional and see out your contract, as that is what you're being paid to do. Any other reaction is a bit unprofessional imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I wouldn't send anymore e-mails. What's happening with the other employee's has nothing to do with you. You should remain professional and see out your contract, as that is what you're being paid to do. Any other reaction is a bit unprofessional imo...
    Agreed. It will look better that you were held until the end of the contract, then being put out to pasture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks for the replies. Well i've applied for like 100 jobs and have a few interviews so will be taking time off anyway. If they want me to start before my contract is up i will just have to leave. There is not much else i can do about that. I need a job and can't afford to be unemployed for weeks on end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Forsaken1

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Yeah, very unfair:( What's worse, i hear the others complaining about having to come into work when there is nothing for them to do. I feel like slapping them everytime they moan. Some come in about 12 and leave at 4. I am disgusted. Anyway, nothing can be done. Another angry email will be sent though :)

Haven't you heard the saying...
    "No good deed goes unpunished!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Take this story entirely for its morality lessons, nothing else:

One morning, the man went out very early to hire some other people to work in his field. The man agreed to pay the workers one silver coin for working that day. Then the man sent the people into the field to work. "At about nine o'clock the man went to the market place and saw some other people standing there. These people were doing nothing. So the man said to them, 'If you go and work in my field, I will pay you what your work is worth.' So the people went to work in the field. "The man went out again about twelve o'clock and again at three o'clock. Both times the man hired some other people to work in his field. At about five o'clock the man went to the market place again. He saw some other people standing there. The man asked them, 'Why did you stand here all day doing nothing?' "The people said, 'No person gave us a job.' "The man said to them, 'Then you can go and work in my field.' "At the end of the day, the owner of the field said to the boss of all the workers, 'Call the workers and pay all of them. Start by paying the last people I hired. Then pay all of them, ending with the workers I hired first.' "The workers that were hired at five o'clock came to get their pay. Each worker got one silver coin. Then those workers that were hired first came to get their pay. Those workers thought they would be paid more than the other workers. But each one of those workers also received one silver coin. When they got their silver coin, these workers complained to the man that owned the land. The workers said, 'Those people were hired last and worked only one hour. But you paid them the same as us. And we worked hard all day in the hot sun.' "But the man that owned the field said to one of those workers, 'Friend, I am being fair with you. You agreed to work for one silver coin. Right? So take your pay and go. I want to give the man that was hired last the same pay that I gave you.I can do what I want with my own money. Are you jealous because I am good {to those people}?' "So the people that have the last place now will have the first place in the future. And the people that have the first place now will have the last place in the future."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Somehow I don't think that (bible?) character would have avoided a visit to the employment tribunal :P

Advertisement