Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Website making software?

Options
  • 17-08-2008 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Need to make a simple website, suggestions on a good free package ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

wordpress + a template

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

KINGPIN wrote: »
    Need to make a simple website, suggestions on a good free package ?

Thanks in advance
    How about Windows Notepad?

Seriously though, what kind of site are you thinking about? For example if you're thinking about putting up a weblog, Forbairt's solution is perfect, for a shop you could try something like OSCommerce or Magento or for a forum you could try Simple Machines Forum or PHPBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KINGPIN

literally just going be one home page , with :

Title

Intro

class info

And contact info at bottom

nothing fancy just something to advertise a service .

see i totally lack any experience but from what i understand i just need to get a template and upload the layout from word / notepad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No matter what you use, you're still going to have to have a basic understanding of websites & servers.

The most popular application for WYSIWYG editing (what you see is what you get, aka point and click) is Dreamweaver. But that costs money.

In any case, I would still recommend that you learn basic HTML so you can understand how a webpage is constructed. You could go to OSWD.org for some designs which you can work with, or use for an idea of how you want to layout your site.

If it's just a quick page you want to throw up, without any hassle. A template would be the ideal solution. You'd just open it in notepad and edit the text where needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

KINGPIN wrote: »
    literally just going be one home page , with :

Title

Intro

class info

And contact info at bottom

nothing fancy just something to advertise a service .

see i totally lack any experience but from what i understand i just need to get a template and upload the layout from word / notepad?

if you don't care about SEO ... how its done ... making your site popular and so on ...

http://www.oswd.org/design/preview/id/3559

should do the trick for you

From the sounds of it you just want a holder page .. ? and that should do you fine or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 hasha

kingpin you took the words out my mouth.also just logged on to enquire about free software to set up my own basic web site!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KINGPIN

thanks for all the replies much appreciated i guess the word im looking for is " holder page", but from what i have here i should i no problem. thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jomag45

http://www.htmlkit.com is free, has some good features and is suitable for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Kingpin - NVU, mentioned earlier will do that for you. I wouldn't recommend it as a general pupose tool, but for creating a simple holder page it'll do the trick nicely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement