Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partnership Visas, and how to Prove IT!

Options
  • 17-08-2008 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

alright, so im here with my fella, cos of my fella, he's 100% kiwi, never even left the country, doesnt actually own a passport... (crap, i'd forgotten about that... gotta get on to that one tomorrow), and i have to prove we're in a relationship.

given all we really have are a few bills, the fact we live at the same address, a bank account in both our names, the fact ive flown over three times in a year to see him, and photos... im kinda worried about it. the bills arent in both our names, neither is the house... we pay the rent from the joint account, but that's about it. we do split the bills all the time, but that's just between us, it still goes in as a lump sum.

we do have a fair amount of photos, and friends willing to write letters or whatever to say that yeah, we're a legit couple.

1. would it be appropriate to do this in a kinda scrapbook format? put the pictures in and explanations of where/when it happened, and its relevance, as well as the bills and bits?

2. what the fuck do we get the letter-writers to say? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Crumble

You've answered your own question. They are looking for every thing you said. To prove that your relationship is real. Have you all the ticket subs for all your flights to Nz

The immigration want to see bills in both your names if possible. But if the rent is coming from a joint account that’s a good one. They want to see plenty of photos with the both of you in them. Weddings of friends and family are great.

The letters from family and friends are also to back up that both of you are in a relationship. They just have to state that they are aware both of you are in a relationship that’s all.

It all comes down to proving this is a real relationship and not just one of connivance. They see bills n stuff in both your names as proof that you are both financial connected as well.

Do worry to much they can see a real relationship

Hope some of this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Poor crumble, don't get stressed out!

It sounds like you have a lot to be honest. Just get everything you possible can and put it in. I'll send you a card from Wellington if you want. Like a housewarming card or something.

I think the financial thing is the main thing so they know you're not making up your relationship. I brought over all my bank statements where we'd transferrred money to each other and highlighted those parts. Also in the joint account I wrote what was what next to it. (Don't think the kiwis will know what ESB or bord gais are!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Crumble it's very important NOT to instruct your letter writers. If you do, you'll find they all write precisely what you said to them, which means all the letters look the same.

(I had one from an old friend of mine, talking about how happy she was to see me so happy, and what a decent bloke my husband is. I had one from cousins saying they found us a fun couple who were obviously in love. I had one from my MIL saying it was very important that we be near her, especially if we had grandchildren. Go figure.)

It'll take you a while to get your info together, so meantime why don't you try and get friends and family in Ireland to post cards addressed to both you and your fella for any special occasions?

Also, if you're flying to see him I have to assume you communiate while you're apart - and it'll be important to be able to prove that. How did you communicate over the distance? Email? If so, be prepared to print out those emails!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

thanks guys. ehh. im not in such a good headspace at the mo, had made up my mind when i got home from work nearly in tears and had a sort of arguement/disagreement with my fella about it that fuck it i just dont care and ill go for the first visa.

then the argument went a bit further, and i said fuck it, i can't give a shit, and he said fuck it, he doesnt give a shit and to just go for this one. AARRRGH!

it's come to this at this point.. .if i can get enough stuff together to reckon i have enough proof, by next tuesday (im going back to ireland then), then im going for the partner one, if not, im going for the general work one. :/

a fortnight really isnt long enough to get all that shit together.
    Ozeire wrote: »
    You've answered your own question. They are looking for every thing you said. To prove that your relationship is real. Have you all the ticket subs for all your flights to Nz

yep, ticket stubs, flight plans and stuff, got all that. one of my main questions was how to present it.
    The immigration want to see bills in both your names if possible. But if the rent is coming from a joint account that’s a good one. They want to see plenty of photos with the both of you in them. Weddings of friends and family are great.

... bills have been in the name of someone who hasnt lived here for over a year up till recnetly, same with rent :/ got a few photos together now. got my fella's sister in law to write me a letter, was reading it today, and she said how im always at family do's and attended her wedding, and pop in to see the family every now and then (they have a gorgeous 8 year old i get on quite well with). few pics with my fella's sister's new baby too, so guess that helps.
    The letters from family and friends are also to back up that both of you are in a relationship. They just have to state that they are aware both of you are in a relationship that’s all.

i think im actually ok-ish on that front. was worried about getting stuff from my own family, cos not enough time to get them to send me something now, but found a 'bon voyage' card where they all wrote a lil note, and my mam thankfully wished me and my fella all the best, so can use that :cool:
    Do worry to much they can see a real relationship

Hope some of this helps.

thanks, it does help, i hope thry can see it. there are a few 'unconventional' aspects to our relationship. :/
    watna wrote: »
    Poor crumble, don't get stressed out!

moi? stressed?

... you know me too well :o
    It sounds like you have a lot to be honest. Just get everything you possible can and put it in. I'll send you a card from Wellington if you want. Like a housewarming card or something.

PLEASE!

Crumble it's very important NOT to instruct your letter writers. If you do, you'll find they all write precisely what you said to them, which means all the letters look the same.

good advice, might try getting one to do it himself instead of just signing what i write..,. :rolleyes:
    (I had one from an old friend of mine, talking about how happy she was to see me so happy, and what a decent bloke my husband is. I had one from cousins saying they found us a fun couple who were obviously in love. I had one from my MIL saying it was very important that we be near her, especially if we had grandchildren. Go figure.)

most stuff from my mate's are in text/msn format :rolleyes: actually, i dont think i've gotten anything in postal format from mates :/

It'll take you a while to get your info together, so meantime why don't you try and get friends and family in Ireland to post cards addressed to both you and your fella for any special occasions?

kinda has to be in by next tuesday. takes more than a week to get stuff here. blah.

Also, if you're flying to see him I have to assume you communiate while you're apart - and it'll be important to be able to prove that. How did you communicate over the distance? Email? If so, be prepared to print out those emails!

ewww... im really really not comfortable with that one. ill have to sift through emails and letters to see if i can find anything i woulndt mind sending in. they say on teh site that it's supposed to be with the envelope, but they're loooong since gone.

One other thing to remember

I'm not sure if the Nz visa are the same as the OZ ones but if they are . If you apply outside the country you must be outside the country when the visa is granted .

The same goes for if you apply inside the country .

• Advertisement

IF the visa is granted, but yeah, applying in new zealand next week, going away for a month, but have no intention of leaving the country any time after this holiday, for at least 2-5 years.

the big rush is that there's a 40 working day processing time on the partner one, which means i have to have it sent in by the middle/end of september for it to be processed before my working holiday's up, so i really have to have it all done and sent in before i go back home.

(in ONE WEEK! eeehehehehehehehehehe! :D )

Only a 40 working day processing time for partner one in NZ

Man thats not bad have to apply for a partner visa in Oz myslef and have been told it could take any thing up to 8 months.

well, it's only a 12month partner one, but that's in christchurch anyway. still, given i only decided to go for this a week ago... 40working days just seems like so long with so little time to get it all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Haven't fully looked into it myself yet, but do you have to be together fro 2 years or more in NZ?

no, i think for a residency visa it has to be at least 12months, for de facto partnership thing it's 2 years, but just on a work visa sponsored by partner, it's just to prove ye're together at all. basically, i got a sort of job offer, but will still have to do interview etc, and amn't actually qualified for it. would love to take the job, but am being sponsored by a company already, so in order to have the freedom to work for whoever i want, i have to go for the partner sponsored one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just to be clear on the letter-writers - I don't mean people just randomly send you letters from abroad. These are 'declarations' about your relationship. The use either a statutory declaration or a form provided by the visa office.

The form asks how long they've known you, when they first met you, where, I think they also ask when they first met your partner and where, and then go through a number of questions regarding your relationship.

That forms one part of the application.

Another part entirely is letters/postcards/christmas cards, addressed to you both, sent by family and friends, because that proves separately that your family and friends regard you as a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'll be going through all this in the new year. Going to hopefully get another permit through work in Nov. Then I'll have been with my g/f for just over a year. Apply for partnership visa sometime in the first half of '09

Just to be clear on the letter-writers - I don't mean people just randomly send you letters from abroad. These are 'declarations' about your relationship. The use either a statutory declaration or a form provided by the visa office.

shit. statutory declaration? what is that? how do they do it? my sister in law (sorta) wrote a letter specifically for it, saying how she knows me, that me and my fella are defo in the same house and in a relationship and that i do be at all the family functions and stuff... that wont do?

and fucking visa forms! there's so many! gah! fuck! i think i will end up with the less-good visa after all :/
    The form asks how long they've known you, when they first met you, where, I think they also ask when they first met your partner and where, and then go through a number of questions regarding your relationship.

That forms one part of the application.

Another part entirely is letters/postcards/christmas cards, addressed to you both, sent by family and friends, because that proves separately that your family and friends regard you as a couple.

all that bit i can deal with... but... the above... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

shit. statutory declaration? what is that? how do they do it? my sister in law (sorta) wrote a letter specifically for it, saying how she knows me, that me and my fella are defo in the same house and in a relationship and that i do be at all the family functions and stuff... that wont do?

and fucking visa forms! there's so many! gah! fuck! i think i will end up with the less-good visa after all :/

all that bit i can deal with... but... the above... :(

As far as I know you don't need anyone to fill out a statutory declaration for a kiwi partnership visa. I've seen no mention of it anywhere on the list of what you need to send in with your application. It might be an aus thing.

aww, phew... cos immigration says...
    ( ) Sufficient evidence to prove that you and your New Zealand citizen or resident partner are living together in a genuine and stable relationship.

(If you have been living in a genuine and stable relationship with a New Zealand citizen or New Zealand permanent resident for a period less than 12 months, the maximum work visa validity we are able to consider is 12 months. For relationships in excess of 12 months, 2 year work visas may be considered.)

Evidence may include, but is not limited to:

Original photos of the couple
    Original proof of shared accommodation (e.g., joint mortgages or joint tenancy agreement/rent book)

Original proof of shared bank accounts (e.g., statements or bankbooks showing joint accounts are held)

Wills or Insurance policies which name the partners as benefactors.
    Original certificates for any children of the relationship

Proof of children living with the couple

Any evidence of public or family recognition of the relationship (e.g., letters addressed to the couple either jointly or separately at the same address.)
    Original letters of support from mutual family and friends attesting to the genuineness, stability and duration of the relationship.

so i was kinda planning on just throwing anything i could get in there.

what bout my scrapbook idea?

and... i think it's been decided to go for the other one. im still not sure about it... but... yeah...

Advertisement